well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Not getting paid?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not getting paid?
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen much made of this yet -- Wilbur Ross's "Why can't they just get loans" comment is getting all the attention.

But in the same interview, he also spouts this gem:

"Put it in perspective You're talking about 800,000 workers, and while I feel sorry for individuals who have hardship cases, 800,000 workers, if they never got their pay, which is not the case, they will eventually get it, but if they never got it, you're talking about a third of a percent on our GDP. So it's not like it's a gigantic number overall."

So hey Cindy, take solace in the fact that you're just like, you know, a millionth of a percent of the GDP so even if you go broke, you're not making a huge dent in the health of the economy. Doesn't that make you feel better?

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yea, I should have posted the stuff about Wilbur in this thread rather than a separate thread.

Trump's clean up:

quote:
Either President Donald Trump hasn’t been to the grocery store in a while or he’s going to a pretty unconventional one where you need to show ID to go shopping — and can negotiate with employees about whether or not you pay.

In a meeting with Republican members of Congress on Thursday, Trump was asked about the ongoing partial government shutdown and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross’s comments earlier in the day that he doesn’t “quite really understand why” federal workers affected by the shutdown are going to food banks instead of taking out loans. Ross’s remarks were widely panned as stunningly out of touch.

The president appeared to try to clean up Ross’s comments, but in doing so, he revealed that he, too, is a little confused about how typical Americans live. He seemed to suggest people can just work out a side deal with the grocery store if they aren’t able to pay.

“Local people know who they are when they go for groceries and everything else. And I think what Wilbur was probably trying to say is that they will work along,” Trump said.

In other words, federal workers on furlough or working without pay because of the shutdown should just strike a deal with the store.

Trump also said banks are “working along” with clients on payments such as their mortgages.

“The folks collecting the interest and all of those things, they work along,” Trump said. “And that’s what happens in times like this. They know the people. They’ve been dealing with them for years. And they work along.”

https://www.vox.com/policy-and...-government-shutdown

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37885 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Coast Guard commandant was first to release a video.

Now it's Trump-appointed FBI Director Chris Wray. Pep talk, including description of how they are trying to find a way to make a one-time payment to government employees.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/vi...ffects-fbi-workforce

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37885 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
It’s surprising how fast you run out of money when your income stops cold.

I had to go to the bank this week and ask them to reverse overdraft fees. I mean, we’re not poor, but we’re not very liquid either. When the primary breadwinner’s income stop, things get urgent.

In October, my mom died, and we incurred big expenses getting everyone across country for the funeral.

In December, I moved my dad to Arizona to Denver and into assisted living. More expenses.

In December, LS got his wisdom teeth out, we bought a used car, and put tires on my car. We also replaced our broken oven and dangerous cooktop and fixed a big basement leak. More expenses.

In January, we moved my mother in law into assisted living. More expenses. And we had to lend her thousands to transition out of nursing into assisted living, and that has not been repaid.

In January, federal and state quarterly estimated taxes were due.

And that is how a stable family winds up asking the bank to waive overdraft fees.

So we have to look at next steps to shake loose liquid funds. It’s not a huge deal, but we would have delayed a few things had we known my income would stop.

And we need to shake down my 92 year old, almost blind and deaf MIL for cash. I never thought I’d see the day.

Jesus, Cindy. I am so sorry. Frowner

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Cindy, I'm so sorry to hear about all that you're dealing with.

I really hope this temporary end to the shutdown is permanent and that it helps you get a little bit of relief from all of these problems!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Just heard that the government will reopen soon.
Cindy, I hope relief will come to you soon.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Cindy, I am so sorry about all of your trials, especially the loss of your mom and for your dad's and mother-in-law's need for care.

My heart goes out to your family.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone.

The end of 2018 was definitely rough, but things are looking up.

LS graduates this spring, OS is about to become engaged, we're all still healthy, and the Dems are large and in charge.

But it just shows how wrong it is for Trump to mess with people's lives like he did. Life can be tough, either all the time or just sometimes, and the last thing anyone needs is added stress from his nonsense.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Man, Cindy--I'm late to the party but wanted to let you know how sorry I am that the furlough has hit you hard. Do you know when you'll likely see a paycheck before the next threat assessment on 15 February?

I have been noodling around with what might happen on Feb 15th. I'm concerned that he's trying to think "politically," and thinks that if he shuts down the government again in February he can blame it on the Dems. Except that dog won't hunt. If people see how capriciously he treats millions of people (I'm including the impact outside of the 800K federal workers directly impacted) I don't see how anyone takes the blame but him. If he declares an emergency, that also will seem petty. ("I've been thinking about this for two and a half years, and what we have here is an emergency!")

I don't understand what his next move might be. Any people more politically adept care to weigh in? What's going to happen on Feb 15th?

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
With Pain Still Fresh, Lawmakers Make Push to Outlaw Shutdowns
https://nyti.ms/2HxZLv9

Two bills described in the article, designed to kick in when new budgets are not enacted in time. One automatically extends continuous resolutions with decreasing amounts over time, the other automatically extends continuous resolutions but withhold pay for the legislative branch and the White House.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I don't understand what his next move might be. Any people more politically adept care to weigh in? What's going to happen on Feb 15th?

There are really only two possibilities.

1. Get something, anything, and declare victory. Say that's what he wanted all along. (The risk here is that the Ann Coulter base will go nuts.)

2. Declare a national emergency. The traditional Senate Republicans go nuts, there's a lawsuit, nothing gets built for a while, but he gets to say that he did what he said he'd do.

I don't see any other way out of the box.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Maybe some kind of deal is possible.

Democrats really want a Daca fix. Trump really wants some more wall. Surely there’s an outline of a deal there.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Maybe some kind of deal is possible.

Democrats really want a Daca fix. Trump really wants some more wall. Surely there’s an outline of a deal there.

Never, in my mind, should a compromise be of the two.

And WE ALL should want a Daca fix and that should stand a lone, not be a tag to other venues.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

There are really only two possibilities.

1. Get something, anything, and declare victory. Say that's what he wanted all along. (The risk here is that the Ann Coulter base will go nuts.)

2. Declare a national emergency. The traditional Senate Republicans go nuts, there's a lawsuit, nothing gets built for a while, but he gets to say that he did what he said he'd do.

I don't see any other way out of the box.

The Ann Coulter base is already going nuts. I think he'll need to get something that he can declare as a win. On the other hand, his base seems to be willing to return to him, again and again.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post