well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Edit and quote buttons missing?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edit and quote buttons missing?
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Windows 11, Chrome - OK
Windows 11, Firefox - no edit, but I can hide the post
Windows 11, Edge - same as Firefox

Posts: 35402 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
chrome on an android tablet: no good
firefox on an android tablet: editing function works just fine

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21403 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’m on Safari on my iPad, and all is well.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9827 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Ax, do you have any idea what might be going on with this?

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38122 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Ax, do you have any idea what might be going on with this?

Sorry, I haven’t been able to pin this down to anything specific yet.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12710 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It's not an emergency, and no apologies necessary! I just saw you logged on this morning and thought I'd ping you.

As always, your efforts are appreciated.

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38122 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have the same problem. Using Microsoft Edge.
With Chrome I only get a text version with no ability to do those things or reply.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25764 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Chas, my problem with Brave only displaying text (what I referenced earlier as being "messed up") has been fixed. Could you check Chrome and see if it's ok, or if you still have an issue?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interesting. My edit/delete, reply, and report post icons seem to be gone now, but they really aren't. This is in Brave, which is Chrome-based. Firefox is still fine.

If I hover over the area where they should be, I can see that my cursor changes from an arrow to pointing finger, which indicates that I'm over a clickable field. If I leave the cursor in finger pointing mode, most of the time a text box pops up that says "Reply or Delete Message", "Reply with Quote", or "Report This Post". The icons are not visible.

I wonder if this is related to another issue I've been experiencing off and on recently where some emojis just appear as a small square instead of the actual emoji.

I saw Matt logged on a little while ago, so help is on the way.

eta: When the window to insert an emoji in a post comes up, most of them are the unviewable squares.

Test emoji:

The emoticon problem happens in Brave but not in Firefox. On my Windows laptop.

One that I can see in both Brave and Firefox:

Wink

One that is an unviewable square in Brave, but fine in Firefox:

Leaving

Sorry for the problems. Guess our software is getting pretty long in the tooth.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Well how about that. It works.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13594 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Mine are missing on every thread. I can start a new one or reply, but I can't quote or edit or whatever.

Looks like I’m good

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17697 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Jack, Mik, please check out the WTF Beta site that we've been talking about in the other thread:

https://wtf.coffee-room.com/

I think this may be a much better option all around.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18704 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I know I am slow in responding to this but I have not had the edit/quote buttons in forever (windows laptop, google chrome. But if I hover my cursor over where the reply/quote/edit buttons used to be, the mouse cursor changes to the pointing finger (like it does over any button/link) and a tool tip pops up that describes what I am hovering over. If I click where the tool tips appear, I can edit and quote and all of that. So the buttons and functionality is there and does work, it's just not visible for some reason.

(Oh, I see WTG just posted about that as well a few posts above this...that's what I get for not reading to the very end) :-)

Posts: 4416 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Lisa, Bernard posted some info in another thread about what's going on in the code. He seems to have a more tech background so knew where to look. You seem a bit more tech yourself, so you might find it interesting.

https://well-temperedforum.gro...143911997#4143911997

Made a lot of sense to me, but from what Ax (administrator) saw, it's not something we can fix at the WTF level. It's a problem at the host.

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Lisa, Bernard posted some info in another thread about what's going on in the code. He seems to have a more tech background so knew where to look. You seem a bit more tech yourself, so you might find it interesting.

https://well-temperedforum.gro...143911997#4143911997

Made a lot of sense to me, but from what Ax (administrator) saw, it's not something we can fix at the WTF level. It's a problem at the host.

Interesting! I just helped my son deploy his first live website and we both got a crash course in secure websites and security certificates in the process. We encountered that ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID error many times - it had something to do with the way our DNS server entries were pointing to our web hosting site. We managed to fix our issues by changing the DNS to the exact format that our web hosting site wanted but it took a while to figure out what that was and I'm still not exactly sure how it all works. I do know that if you go here: https://dnschecker.org/all-dns...rtype=ALL&dns=google

you can see all the DNS records associated with this site. Something is wrong with either these or the security certificate but all of that is supposed to be taken care of by the groupee.net hosting folks so I think you are right that they need to fix it.

Posts: 4416 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post