well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Edit and quote buttons missing?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edit and quote buttons missing?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I guess I should download Safari. Third time's the charm? I have neither on Chrome nor Firefox.

fwiw, I no longer care about typos and other errors the way I did and did for a long time.

I started posting on a forum twenty-four years ago. Its
software had no edit feature. It made me want to pull my hair out. A member of my senior this committee (a Yale literature PHD no less) told me my thesis was the only one he read that year with no grammar mistakes, no misspellings, and no typos. I knew there weren't any myself but I took his observation as a great compliment.

However, and although it took me a long time to get here, I'm older and I just don't care if these elements are perfect.

There are just too many obstacles eg software! and too many other things more important.

It would be different if I were publishing something but I'm not.

Posts: 25200 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have neither on Chrome nor Firefox.

What browser do you use Daniel?

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18854 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Chrome and Firefox.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ahhh my apologies, I misread!

I usually use Firefox, sometime Safari, and sometimes Chrome, and sometimes even Edge!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18854 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I have iPads, but I use an Android phone. And a Windows laptop. Safari only runs on Apple as far as I know. I have used it on the iPad but most of the time I stick with Brave, Chrome, and/or Firefox.

The whole invisible edit icons is, as far as I can tell, an issue on Windows and Android devices. I can't see them on my laptop (Windows) or my phone (Android).

OTOH, everything works fine on my iPad. And people here who have iPhones say everything is good from there. But I really don't post from the iPad much because I like a real keyboard rather than a virtual one.

Actually, it's a miracle that all this software works together as well as it does, despite the problems we see crop up.

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38211 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Lisa, Bernard posted some info in another thread about what's going on in the code. He seems to have a more tech background so knew where to look. You seem a bit more tech yourself, so you might find it interesting.

https://well-temperedforum.gro...143911997#4143911997

Made a lot of sense to me, but from what Ax (administrator) saw, it's not something we can fix at the WTF level. It's a problem at the host.

Interesting! I just helped my son deploy his first live website and we both got a crash course in secure websites and security certificates in the process. We encountered that ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID error many times - it had something to do with the way our DNS server entries were pointing to our web hosting site. We managed to fix our issues by changing the DNS to the exact format that our web hosting site wanted but it took a while to figure out what that was and I'm still not exactly sure how it all works. I do know that if you go here: https://dnschecker.org/all-dns...rtype=ALL&dns=google

you can see all the DNS records associated with this site. Something is wrong with either these or the security certificate but all of that is supposed to be taken care of by the groupee.net hosting folks so I think you are right that they need to fix it.

Thanks. I learned something today!

I wish I had a more up-to-date tech background and understood the mechanics of the internet. It's just a big black hole in my tech toolkit.

Now if you need a COBOL program modified, I'm your gal... Big Grin

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38211 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Well shoot, another function appears to have failed for me. I no longer get the lightbulb for new posts in threads. So now I have to GUESS where I left off.

Sigh.

Edit: but it’s showing me the alert for this post. Shrug

New Edit: and now it won’t turn off!

Shrug Shrug

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9851 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I should try Safari next. Brave doesn't work for me.

I don't have edit or quote anywhere. I don't even have it in PM's.

I don't have Windows, fwiw.

I've decided to become philosophical and not worry about typos.

I was OCD about typos, spelling, etc. since I learned to read and write. I would be mortified if one punctuation mark was wrong.

Well, I'm going on 60 and I'm learning not to care.

People will know if it's auto-correct gone haywire and sometimes the results are amusing.

I will make a second post to clarify if I've done something that changes my meaning for clarification if necessary.

I will quote what I want to with copy - paste and attribution.

I use work around methods. I don't mind.

More generally the software of many sites and browsers have gone mad.

I think the problems are too common to be the fault of any one site or browser. I think it's an internet problem.

YMMV.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Edited too add-- it could just be this site. I still don't care. I can post. I can reply to posts. The Ignore feature works. I'm good.