well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Show Us Your Collections!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Show Us Your Collections!
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
Jodi's FB on buttons had me thinking...While I downsized some years ago, I still have the collecting compulsion though I have limited it quite a bit.

Show us your collection...

I will go first..I love flower frogs..They were used in flower arranging long before that horrible foam called "oasis". You set them in the bottom of a vessel and put the flower stems in the holes.

Some high end pottery houses made them but I just go for pretty glazes and some odd shapes...I skip glass and lead/metal to limit the habit (and because I LOVE pottery)...They are easy to display ..just a nail does it. There is a new one on the window sill that needs hanging...blue..my fav color!

Some odd balls, the most unique are on a shelf.

The white one is my fav...it is so tactile, shaped by the potters hand..it just sits in the palm so comfortably.

Cost? As little as $1 at a thrift shop to $10 at antique/junk shops, only one more than that.

What do you collect? Do you have limits or criteria? How do you manage it and share it with others?

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
I love your collection. Here shops sell a round base with pins sticking up on which to impale the end of stalks.

Your post made me think, what constitutes a collection? Five guitars? Ten books on a rare subject like netsuke? Or three hundred of poetry?

(Also quite like your neighbour's house on the right)

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 385 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post

These are (most of) my collection of binoculars. I use them all, a couple more than most. They range from 6x32 to 16x70. A good friend and a sister also have a couple for bird-watching, I also use them when on holiday, keep a pair in the glove box, and for occasional astronomy.

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 385 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I collect gargoyles. In fact, there's one that sits on a bookshelf over my shoulder during Zoom calls. I tell people he's there to protect me.

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I have an awful heckuva lot of sheet music, but I've seen how neatly some of you organize yours and I ain't posting a picture. Wink

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15514 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Got a lotta books, too.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15514 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Condiments. Our refrigerator top shelf is the Isle of Lost Condiments.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13563 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Mik, ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Omg, my whole house is a collection. And the garage. Pretty sure I found a piece of rose gold (along with that engraved silver thimble) in that gigantic bowl of buttons I bought for $10. I spent a good part of yesterday afternoon sorting, there are some really beautiful buttons, some from the 1920’s (a decade I’ve been fascinated with lately, Big Grin) will post pictures at some point, I’m trying to get ready for my art show at the gallery (I’m so behind, and I keep getting distracted!)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
My Mum collected thimbles, and teaspoons, we have boxes of them.
Dad collected violins as investments, sold them through retirement.
Looking back, they really collected memories of holidays all over Britain, we have bookshelves of guidebooks to towns, castles, cathedrals, museums. It was something they could do that was impossible for their parents. We all seem to take travel for granted nowadays.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I have a small collection of Eiffel Towers. And I love fountain pens, too.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I have slowly been accumulating pottery from native artists. Mostly Pueblo and Hopi/Tewa. For the most part I have opted for quality over quantity, and with a preference for living artists. Alas, some of them have passed.

One example:

Posts: 12544 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Love it! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Mary Anna, I don’t consider books or sheet music to be collections, really. Maybe because they’re not usually displayed as such? I don’t consider all that yarn in my studio to be a collection, either. It’s just work supplies.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have an embarrassing bunch of sheet music Not sure whether it is a collection or just carp. By
Calling it a collection I can better justify keeping it.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post