well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The President Can't Be Prosecuted, Even If He Murders Someone

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The President Can't Be Prosecuted, Even If He Murders Someone
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
His lawyer told an appeals court today that, even if the President shot someone on Fifth Avenue, he can't be prosecuted.

No, really.

https://www.vox.com/2019/10/23...mmunity-mazars-vance

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
In the era we're in now, it might be the only workable solution.

I mean, until impeachment and removal.

It's hard to imagine in the near future a president from one party not being criminally investigated by AGs of the other.

Though if we go that way we might need to freeze statutes of limitations so cases against presidents don't age out while they're in office.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
It's hard to imagine in the near future a president from one party not being criminally investigated by AGs of the other.

Do you really think so? I don't remember Obama being investigated much.

Seems to me that this problem is fairly recent.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily investigating the Prez, but anyone in the administration. Benghazi! Emails! Benghazi! Emails! Benghazi! Benghazi!

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Benghazi was an Obama investigation until a certain Tuesday in November of 2012

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The difference is that everyone knew the Benghazi thing was BS.

I-1 is guilty. He told us so himself.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Reductio ad Absurdum is usually an argument technique employed by the OTHER side. This seems like an own goal.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Darryl Issa's promise to investigate the Obama administration throughout his presidency. He pretty much made good on that.

Doesn't anyone remember the investigation into Fast & Furious? That was a six year investigation that spun off several more, finding nothing. Of note, however, was a federal ruling that the WH had to respond to the GOP's subpoenas, and Holder was held in contempt of Congress (I think).

And of course Benghazi lasted years, and the email thing really doesn't seem to have ended.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Actually, there were recent findings on the emails. I read about it last week and when I went to find the reference today, this popped up:

quote:
I wrote last week about what we in my office informally call "missing stories," those stories that NPR listeners and readers feel have been under-covered. Newsrooms have to set priorities, of course, and they can't cover everything. But this week's "missing story" is a particularly notable omission.

Late Friday, Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley released a letter he had received from the State Department earlier in the week, in which the department said it had concluded its investigation, begun in 2016, into former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's emails. The quick takeaway from the report, as reported by AP: The investigation found "no persuasive evidence of systemic, deliberate mishandling of classified information." It did find that 38 current or former employees, in 91 cases, sent classified information (some of it classified after the fact) that ended up in Clinton's personal email. Some of them may face discipline. NPR intensely covered the Clinton email issue prior to the 2016 election. And it covered this most recent development in the 3-year-old saga, but you wouldn't know that from looking at NPR.org, as a reader pointed out to the Public Editor's office. There's no digital story. No newsmagazine report. Astute listeners would have heard reports in six newscasts, at 8 p.m., 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. (all ET) on Friday, Oct. 18, and at 2 a.m., 3 a.m. and 8 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 19. Newscast transcripts are not archived online, however.

To any NPR news consumer who didn't happen to catch a newscast, most of which were in off hours, this important development in the story is invisible.

https://www.npr.org/sections/p...on-a-prominent-story

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post