Find
Notify
Tools

LAX:CLE
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Miller wants a giant deck wrapping from the front door across the front of the house with a door from the living room and another from the kitchen. As this is a summer place it makes up for the small dining area and most heavy cooking can be done on the grill. She’s good, that Mrs. Miller. She’s very good indeed.

Little kitchen becomes butlers pantry. Giant table is on the deck. TV is over fireplace and another on the deck.

And the very minute we see a snowflake we hightail it for Arizona.

Cool

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34884 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
The deck/outdoor kitchen is a great idea. Mr Jodi would be all over that, he loves cooking things outside! I hope you get this one!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20432 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the very minute we see a snowflake we hightail it for Arizona.

Big Grin

We can't do that. Our other "place" is in Santa Fe, which is colder and gets more snow than our base in Virginia. Yes, I know, that was our choice.

I'm presuming you're in southern Arizona, not Flagstaff!

Posts: 12526 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
The landscaping is amazing! The views are amazing! The window placement is....ummmm....interesting. Not sure why the 2 teeny tiny non-matching windows up so high over the front door. It seems like as the owners built on, they just poked through the wall where they wanted a view and didn't give much thought to what it would look like from the outside. Personally, that would bug me (but probably because I've been fed a steady diet of East Coast 2 story colonials with matching and very symmetrical windows my entire life!) and I would probably end up doing some pretty expensive window replacement/moving to make things look more logical and symmetrical from the outside. You, coming from California, are probably more used to midcentury and contemporary homes with architectural styles that use more creative window placement. I get why they used the little porthole window - privacy for the bedroom while still keeping a window with a view that you don't need to cover with curtains (and maybe even less window area to worry about leaks!) - but my OCD tendencies would struggle with those non matching windows!

On the other hand, those picture windows in the living room are absolutely amazing! Your plans for a deck are perfect! And that landscaping - wow! And all that for under $500K! I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Posts: 4396 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
The house is beautiful and the views are superb. However, I would be really cautious about buying that close to Lake Erie. I live on the other side and lake front properties here are being destroyed by erosion. The local provincial park that I took Liam to as a kid has lost 100 feet of park to the lake over the past ten years. A road, a playground, and the outdoor washrooms all have disappeared. Down the road from there, the local highway had to be closed because lake erosion has taken out the land and made it dangerous to travel. Properties along the lake are frequently flooded (as in several times a year, on some roads). Some homeowners have spent lots of money on sea walls and still have major problems. Then they get trapped because they can’t sell the house and they have sunk a tonne of money in.

Perhaps the other side isn’t facing these same problems, but be super cautious. It’s turned into a nightmare on our side!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4090 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I've been skipping over this thread sure it had to do with airline routes, one in particular. When I saw it had gotten so long, though, I thought it behooved me to check in.

Wow!

So much happy excitement! Congratulations on the new grandbaby and the fun of househunting, especially with your know-how to make it less of a gamble.

Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations!!!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
[QUOTE]I'm presuming you're in southern Arizona, not Flagstaff!

Phoenix-ish.

Posts: 34884 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
The landscaping is amazing! The views are amazing! The window placement is....ummmm....interesting

It’s an architectural mutt to be sure. The massing is even worse than the window arrangement when viewed from outside. Upside is that the picture is of the side of the house and there is no reason to look at it much. Front and back are better looking.