Find
Notify
Tools

LAX:CLE
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We’re back in Ohio and are considering another house. This one is a lot nicer than the one we offered on in October, and we may be able to get it at a decent discount.

3492 Edgewater Dr.

There are pros and cons. This one is newer, has potential for a ground floor master BR and Bath, $80K in recent seawall and lake access improvements. It’s super clean and has room for a giant deck on the back. Nice finishes. Cool rock garden.

Cons include small kitchen, no beach, possibly too soon to make a move.

We’ll see.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34884 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Nice bones. Needs a bit of cosmetic updating, but that's easy enough. Love the front yard by the lake.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13540 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's high enough above the water level to withstand storms off the lake.

Posts: 12526 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I really like the house, the landscaping, and the views but it's awfully close to the lake. Makes me more than a little nervous. At least you're seeing it at near record high levels.

Wonder what it looks like in the winter. Winds coming from the north during a storm could make life interesting.

Could lake levels go higher?

https://www.usatoday.com/story...her-2020/3941750002/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37849 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The dryer duct in the laundry room is, uh, interesting.....when it goes, one of those newfangled ductless designs might be appropriate to consider...

ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37849 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s way up high but the disclosures include the fact it suffered some damage during hurricane Sandy. Water came in through the second story windows and damaged the carpet. Eeker

Realtor says that is why they upgraded the seawall.

Posts: 34884 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Sandy had oomph left after crossing all of NJ and PA? That's gotta be a once per century event. I'm thinking more of just normal lake effect blows.

Posts: 12526 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
If you like something more traditional, check out the second house we saw. A magnificent beast! It’s too big, too old, too close to the water and too expensive but it’s really cool.

Built in 1900 and renovated by the family a few times over the years. Also had problems during Hurricane Sandy which prompted them to install some $120K worth of rock fortification on 2 sides. Most of the exterior is new-ish and really cool. There is a broad private sand beach over on the side.

The interior great room is an open beam medieval fantasy. The upstairs has no hallways and instead you access the various rooms by an open balcony that looks on to the great room below. Huge fireplace. Fantastic!

Unfortunately, none of the bedrooms are larger than 10x10. All of the closets are 3x3. Kitchen is 1950s, baths maybe 60’s. You could drop $100K in this place with little to show for it.

It’s an AirBnB at the moment. Maybe we’ll stay in it some time.

16 Cincinnati, Huron, OH

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
The dryer duct in the laundry room is, uh, interesting.....when it goes, one of those newfangled ductless designs might be appropriate to consider...

ThumbsUp

The house was originally built in 1960 as a 900 sf ranch. Remodeling was done some time in the 1990s. It looks to me like by the time they got to the laundry room they’d either run out of money or just lost interest.

I’m not sure what’s up with the duct. The dryer is on an outside wall. Confused

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I am a sucker for a view. I love the house. There are some minor things I'd change (like getting rid of those pillar things on the half wall by the front(?) door), and the carpet isn't to my liking--easily changed. But honestly, who would be looking at the carpet with that view?

I am totally clueless about how bad the weather can get in CLE. I'm sure there is bad weather, but is it on the order of a few days or so where you're really socked in, or a few months? I figure one can survive a few days, for sure. A hurricane Sandy type event might require you to hang with your daughter until it passes over. But a few months... I dunno. Can you get catastrophic storm insurance, or is this a case where no one will insure the house given its proximity to the lake?

Does it have a generator? That may be something you might want to invest in, just to keep the heat running if power outages are common in bad weather.

But the view is really nice. Seriously, we've chosen houses for their views, and I've never tired of looking out the windows.

Did I mention the view? Big Grin

Posts: 35371 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The weather Jan-Apr can be horrendous but the last few years have been relatively mild. We figure to be in AZ during the winter so there is that.

Good question on the generator. I haven’t seen one anywhere and the lines are underground but it’s worth investigating.

Realtor says insurance is not an issue but I’ll check myself.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Power outages or problems with a furnace during winter months can be disastrous.

https://www.freep.com/story/ne...eeze-burst/21671429/

Unoccupied homes are particularly vulnerable.

May I interest you in a monitoring system?

https://simplisafe.com/home-security-system-haven

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I really like that house!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20432 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Which one?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
The latest one. 3492.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20432 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post