well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    No Barking!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Barking!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I've never felt the need to stash. So I'm confused why you'd have to stash a poop bag (other than for a minute or so) in any situation other than when you're hiking.

I'll give you examples. You're talking to someone, and the nearest trash can is all the way across the park. Or, you're playing with your dog, and the nearest trash can is all the way across the park. Or, you're just taking a walk, and the trash can is behind you, but you know you will (or can) return on the same path.

If the bag is put in an inobtrusive (public) place, and you're going back for it, I can't be bothered by sensitive individuals who are triggered by the short-term presence of a bag of dog poop.

quote:
If you're stashing it in a neighbor's front yard while you walk your dog around the block, I think that's tacky. If you never pick them up again, waiting for the elusive Poop Fairy, you also deserve to be shunned.

My 2c!

I've never done that, in someone's yard. If I have parked somewhere where there are no trash cans to take a walk, however, I have stashed the bag under the wheel of my car. Why? Because I'm going to have to drive with that smelly bag in my car until I find a public garbage can or get home, but I don't want it stinking up my car any longer than necessary.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

...His attitude was that the dog was a Sheltie and they just bark, so there's nothing that could be done. The problem resolved itself when the family and the dog moved.

*Sigh*

Shelties.

I love the breed and would love to get another but fear just such a situation (our second was a real air head who barked at every dangerous butterfly and toddler).

And what if I were in an apartment (they meet most weight restrictions) and it barked when I was out, annoying neighbors through the walls?

Been mulling over alternate breeds or (probably more humane) a rescue dog. (But then I wouldn't know what I was getting bark-wise?)

Some people debark Shelties but I think that's torture. Yes, it's definitely a problem that varies by breed. (Also hoping to avoid a digging breed.)

I think I'd pick another breed if you're concerned about barking. Shelties are sweet dogs but every single one I've known was a barker. I think it's so ingrained in their DNA that it's even difficult for an experienced dog owner/trainer to modify that behavior.

Oh, my neighbor's Sheltie also used to be out in the yard a lot. It was a corner lot and the dog would run back and forth along the fence line whenever someone walked by, which in our neighborhood in nice weather can be every few minutes.

I love dogs more than anything, but I wanted to drop kick that thing halfway across the county.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38020 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The sighthounds are quiet breeds.

15 quiet dog breeds

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25741 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Your dog. Your poop. Your problem.

And don’t say others are “triggered” by your selfish, rude behavior. Nobody should ever have to encounter your bag of poop or any other trash while out enjoying nature. Don’t be lazy — just walk across the park and trash the poop, or hold it until you finish chatting with your friend. You’re there to exercise the dog, so why won’t you walk to the trash can?

Maybe you didn’t know what you are doing is bothersome, but now you know.

As a gesture of goodwill, I will let you know that you don’t have to put a bag of poop in your car on the ride home. You can place the bag of poop near the windshield and then pin it down with the wiper blade. It stays put at residential speed.

Posts: 19765 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Your dog. Your poop. Your problem.

And don’t say others are “triggered” by your selfish, rude behavior. Nobody should ever have to encounter your bag of poop or any other trash while out enjoying nature. Don’t be lazy — just walk across the park and trash the poop, or hold it until you finish chatting with your friend. You’re there to exercise the dog, so why won’t you walk to the trash can?

Maybe you didn’t know what you are doing is bothersome, but now you know.

As a gesture of goodwill, I will let you know that you don’t have to put a bag of poop in your car on the ride home. You can place the bag of poop near the windshield and then pin it down with the wiper blade. It stays put at residential speed.

You have this authoritarian streak. You seem to think you get to define what is selfish and rude. You don’t. Maybe it’s only bothersome to you. Or maybe you’re easily triggered. If it offends you, don’t look. It’ll be gone soon enough.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I do think it is rude. There are trash bins in every park I ever took my dogs to. Pick up the poop and hold it until you see one.

ROTFLMAO

There are no trash bins once you leave the trailhead. These are not your DC city park.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21370 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can place the bag of poop near the windshield and then pin it down with the wiper blade. It stays put at residential speed.

Hahaha. I once got rid of a stalker ex bf with this method. The poop was not in a bag and it was not just under a windshield wiper. And it was mastiff sized.

He never parked in front of my building again. Big Grin

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21370 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
Yes, I do think it is rude. There are trash bins in every park I ever took my dogs to. Pick up the poop and hold it until you see one.

ROTFLMAO

There are no trash bins once you leave the trailhead. These are not your DC city park.

Hey, Quirt hasn't said there are no trash cans. What are we talking about, Boston? Come on.

Look, my feeling as a dog owner was my job was to make sure my dog didn't bother anyone. That meant I had to take care with his poop, his noise, his jumping, etc. I think the bare minimum of my responsibilities was to make sure I didn't leave unattended bags of poop anywhere. And I went to plenty of parks, even if carrying it was inconvenient.

I wish more dog owners were more thoughtful.

Posts: 19765 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

ROTFLMAO

Hey, Quirt hasn't said there are no trash cans. What are we talking about, Boston? Come on.

Look, my feeling as a dog owner was my job was to make sure my dog didn't bother anyone. That meant I had to take care with his poop, his noise, his jumping, etc. I think the bare minimum of my responsibilities was to make sure I didn't leave unattended bags of poop anywhere. And I went to plenty of parks, even if carrying it was inconvenient.

I wish more dog owners were more thoughtful.

I define thoughtful as picking up the poop promptly and throwing it out. I do not accept your definition of thoughtful.

As for trash can availability, it depends on the park and the walk you’re taking. Sometimes, there’s one reasonably nearby. Sometimes not.

But, again, I’ll take lectures on manners from other people. Yours carry less weight.