well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    No Barking!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Barking!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Wow. I’ve never seen any of this.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35009 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
People leaving bags of dog sh!t along the trail as if there is a poop fairy who will pick it up for them.

Do you know that they aren't coming back to pick it up?

I have very often stashed a poop bag so that I didn't have to carry it around with me on my walk (the dog usually poops as soon as the trash cans are out of sight), but I've always gone back to get it on my way out.

You are a rare enlightened being, Quirt. No, they don't pick them up.

Some of these things are just annoying. Others are downright dangerous. Like the neighborhood rottweiler roaming the streets unattended who goes for your dog's throat. Then there was the time I had to play chicken with an off-leash pit bull who was determined to kill my dog. The stupid owner screamed at me for hitting his dog while it had its teeth in my dog's neck.

If I wasn't a dog lover myself I'd start to think they're all insane.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21370 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Wow. I’ve never seen any of this.

You must live among a very different demographic.

There's something "off" about pet owners and animal lovers around here. It's a kind of blindness.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Portland is a very progressive city, and very dog-oriented. Those two attributes don't always blend well. "Love me, love my dog" is a common attitude here. I've never been to another place where dogs are more welcome in places that surprise me--stores, outdoor patios of restaurants, work places, airports, etc. Of course you would bring your fur baby with you everywhere.

Most are very well-behaved. But there is a not insignificant minority that don't think the rules apply to them. Such is life.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I thnk it is rude to do anything with a poop bag other than walk around with it until you can dispose of it at your house or public collection bin. I think it is rude to put it in someone ek
Else’s trash bin.

Stashing a poop bag for later retrieval is not OK. What’s the problem, is it too heavy?

Posts: 19765 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I thnk it is rude to do anything with a poop bag other than walk around with it until you can dispose of it at your house or public collection bin. I think it is rude to put it in someone ek
Else’s trash bin.

Stashing a poop bag for later retrieval is not OK. What’s the problem, is it too heavy?

Why not have your dog POOP and PEE in your own yard, THEN take him for a walk?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Else’s trash bin.

You want to spend your entire hike hanging on to bags of dog poop? Most people don't. And I don't think anyone around here objects to it being left alongside the trail inside a bag, so long as its owner picks it up on their way home.

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do think it is rude. There are trash bins in every park I ever took my dogs to. Pick up the poop and hold it until you see one.

Posts: 19765 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
quote:
Else’s trash bin.

Why not have your dog POOP and PEE in your own yard, THEN take him for a walk?
. Our dogs would not poop in our yard.

After a while we got used to their patterns. Walk them near our house for two poops, discard poop at our house, and you should be good for a long walk.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Else’s trash bin.

Most people I’ve walked dogs with think that opinion is crazy. (See? The insulting adjective is unnecessary and inflammatory. I’m only using it as a demonstration tool.)

But everyone I’ve ever been with on long walks thinks stashing is ok, as long as you retrieve it. I mean, what’s the problem? Are you that triggered by seeing dog poop in a bag?

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
People leaving bags of dog sh!t along the trail as if there is a poop fairy who will pick it up for them.

Do you know that they aren't coming back to pick it up?

I have very often stashed a poop bag so that I didn't have to carry it around with me on my walk (the dog usually poops as soon as the trash cans are out of sight), but I've always gone back to get it on my way out.

You are a rare enlightened being, Quirt. No, they don't pick them up.

I look for a marker that makes it easy to find. A post near my walking trail/path, a unique and identifiable tree, something like that. And I put it at the base of that, so I can find it on my way back.

For me, it's particularly useful to do that when the dog is on-leash. Otherwise, I've got both hands occupied the entire walk, and that's irritating.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there are regional differences in what's considered proper dog owner behavior.

Around here (the suburbs where most people have smallish quarter acre lots and homes are fairly close together), the rule is you pick up after your dog when it poops and you take it with you. If someone left a bag it would be presumed that it will be there forever; this thread is the first I've heard of stashing and picking up later. I can kind of understand doing that out on a trail.

It's also considered bad form to put it in someone else's garbage toter, even on garbage pickup days; it's not a public trash can and shouldn't be treated as such. We don't put our dog's picked up poops in the toter till just before pickup; they are deposited over the course of the week in a container that's kept back in a corner of the yard where any smell won't bother us or others. I personally won't even put bagged poop in a public trash can. I just think it's gross to make other people deal with any kind of smelly waste for as long as it takes for the public trash to be picked up.

Our town has a noise ordinance that prohibits "excessive barking". Unfortunately that isn't well-defined, but the police will come and talk to dog owners if a complaint is called in. There are a couple of houses with small yappy dogs, but the barking is muffled and episodic and not an issue.

We did have problems with one owner who let his dog out at 5 am every day and who let it bark for the whole time it was out. He further endeared himself by taking the dog for walks at early hours with the dog barking the whole way. Everyone in a four block radius knew him and the dog. Various neighbors tried to talk to him, send him copies of the noise ordinance and information about dog trainers who work with barking dogs, or called the police for enforcement of the ordinance. His attitude was that the dog was a Sheltie and they just bark, so there's nothing that could be done. The problem resolved itself when the family and the dog moved.

We have our share of people who don't pick up after their dogs. If I happen to see one on my front lawn, I have been known to go out with a clean plastic bag and say "I see you must have forgotten to bring a bag with you. I have an extra one you can use to pick up your dog's poop." It nearly always works and it gets the message across without being angry.

It is a matter of conflicting desires and when you live relatively close to other people there will always be disagreements. Patio fire pits are all the rage around here, but I have to admit I'm getting tired of opening my windows to get the cool evening breeze and then waking up to the smell of smoke that makes it seems like I just fired up a grill in my bedroom....I don't think they're bad people and wouldn't raise a fuss, so I just close my window and move on with life.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38020 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I wonder if there are regional differences in what's considered proper dog owner behavior.

Around here (the suburbs where most people have smallish quarter acre lots and homes are fairly close together), the rule is you pick up after your dog when it poops and you take it with you. If someone left a bag it would be presumed that it will be there forever; this thread is the first I've heard of stashing and picking up later. I can kind of understand doing that out on a trail.

When I used to have regular dog-walking places, people would come to recognize either me, or the spot where the bag was left (and then subsequently removed). Like I said, I never had a complaint about it or even a dirty look, and I've seen other people do likewise.

quote:
It's also considered bad form to put it in someone else's garbage toter, even on garbage pickup days; it's not a public trash can and shouldn't be treated as such.

Agreed. Aside from size restrictions, if it isn't a town service, people pay for that service. It's not particular good manners to mooch on someone else's service.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
There may well be regional differences, and walking differences. It seems we're talking about at least 3 different types of poop situations:

1) People who don't pick up after their dog, period. These people should be shunned.

2) People who walk their dogs in the neighborhood, in order to "do their business" because they either don't have a yard (apartment-dwellers), or don't want their dog's poop in their own yards, or their dogs prefer it, and they pick up after their dog

3) People who take their dogs to a park (dog or otherwise), and pick up after their dog

4) People who take their dogs on hikes (outside of neighborhoods or parks), and pick up after their dog

I can see why you'd stash for #4, because you're going to be covering some territory. I can see why you might stash for #3, just for convenience. I don't see why it might be difficult to remember where you put your poop bag in a public park, though, and every park I've been to has several public garbage cans.

Me, I toss the poop bag in the public garbage without a second thought, but I wouldn't toss it into a private garbage can. I've never felt the need to stash. So I'm confused why you'd have to stash a poop bag (other than for a minute or so) in any situation other than when you're hiking. If you're stashing it in a neighbor's front yard while you walk your dog around the block, I think that's tacky. If you never pick them up again, waiting for the elusive Poop Fairy, you also deserve to be shunned.

My 2c!

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

...His attitude was that the dog was a Sheltie and they just bark, so there's nothing that could be done. The problem resolved itself when the family and the dog moved.

*Sigh*

Shelties.

I love the breed and would love to get another but fear just such a situation (our second was a real air head who barked at every dangerous butterfly and toddler).

And what if I were in an apartment (they meet most weight restrictions) and it barked when I was out, annoying neighbors through the walls?

Been mulling over alternate breeds or (probably more humane) a rescue dog. (But then I wouldn't know what I was getting bark-wise?)

Some people debark Shelties but I think that's torture. Yes, it's definitely a problem that varies by breed. (Also hoping to avoid a digging breed.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post