well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Doing The Two-Space Tango
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doing The Two-Space Tango
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
it must go left to right because the periods are at the ends of the sentences

Oops, yes, the example I posted goes left to right! WhoMe

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I still do the two space thing. I thought that most word processors remove them, anyway.

Life is too short to worry about this, though I'm aware that many Gen Z's and millennials sneer at we boomers over this. Tough nougies .

I think it's a remnant from ye olde typesetting, where sentences would be separated by an m-dash, while words were separated by an n-dash.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:

I really, really hate documents, student papers, cover letters etc. that are justified on both the left and the right side of the page. And I feel like it's harder to read that way. But at the same time, maybe that's just my imagination, because I know some books are set up like that.

SK, the reason justified type is perfectly readable in printed material and hard to read in a manuscript is because in printed material the typesetter has made adjustments in the letter spacing that computers do not make. Again an example of how design judgement can achieve what a computer on its own cannot.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
because in printed material the typesetter has made adjustments in the letter spacing that computers do not make.

Yes, that explains it!! I hate the automated spacing created by computerized right-justifying.

Re Nina's comment:
quote:
I'm aware that many Gen Z's and millennials sneer at we boomers over this.

I am pretty tired of the generational sneering in general. Sigh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Japanese is funny because of all the different ways it can be written. It originally was only read top to bottom from the upper right. Then horizontal also became an option, but that was right to left. Then, presumably due to influence from the west, horizontal writing started to be written left to right, while vertical remained with its start in the upper right.

At some point, horizontal writing that was written right to left basically fell out of favor, maybe this coincided with printing press technological advancements. So the main options were: vertical/top to bottom starting in the upper right, or horizontal reading left to right.

Novels/fiction tends to be printed vertically, while essays, textbooks, manuals, rules, regulations etc. tend to be printed horizontally. Newspapers use a mix of vertical and horizontal text, sometimes in the same article!

Internet text is usually horizontal but not always. And when you're writing in something like MS Word, the default is horizontal, but it's very easy to change it vertical.

BUT! the option to write horizontally and read (or write) right to left remained and in contemporary Japan this kind of writing is primarily seen in 1) fancy scrolls or artwork, or 2) cars and ships on the passenger (or starboard) side. Why? Because if a vehicle is coming at you and you're on that side, you would read the characters right to left as the vehicle goes by.

Sorry, that's probably more than you wanted to know!!

Actually, I found that fascinating. Thank you!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post