well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    New Iowa Frontrunner
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Iowa Frontrunner
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I hope you are right, Nina.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20484 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Me, too. (insert worried emoji here)

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

the people who don't like it that he's married to a man are going to vote for trump anyway.

Agreed.

I think it’s more complicated than that. I’m told there are a lot of socially conservative African Americans who usually vote democratic, for example. They may well stay home rather than vote for Pete, at least at the margins.

I could imagine Buttigieg picking a Veep that might help him counteract that.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33808 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
At the risk of stating the obvious

Booker - might be good, but he's very similar to Buttigieg in terms of policy, etc.

Harris - might appeal to the law and order crowd but wouldn't necessarily be helpful given the incarceration rates for African Americans while she was AG in California (granted, she was following the law but that doesn't seem to have helped her knock down those criticisms)

Biden - no freaking way would he ever be another VEEP

Who else?

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Booker - might be good, but he's very similar to Buttigieg in terms of policy, etc.

I don't think that's a problem. Trying to buy the votes from ideological communities doesn't work too well, I think, because people understand that the VP's policy role is so tenuous and undefined. On the other hand, I think the VP choice can work well at an identity level, reinforcing the importance of inclusion at a very basic level.

Posts: 12575 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's tough to know the strength of whatever is keeping people from the polls v encouraging them to vote. If the number of more centrist-leaning non-Black voters that would vote Harris is more than the number of Blacks who would stay away, then she is a good choices, regardless of identity politics.

I'm guessing that's what the pollsters are doing behind the scenes. At least I hope it is.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

the people who don't like it that he's married to a man are going to vote for trump anyway.

I expect that the bigger worry are people who'd never say out loud that they don't want to vote for a man who is married to another man, but nevertheless might look for excuses to stay away from the polls. The people who are a little embarrassed about their homophobia.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same Episcopal diocese as he. he got married at our diocesan cathedral.

Everyone is pretty over the moon about it.

One thing he is doing is flooding youtube with messages -- almost daily. And god forbid you get on his text or email lists. Sometimes several a day.

Then there are dank meme stashes all over the place along with all the pete 2020 artwork for creators. Then various groups like "Pete Buttigieg is Hot!" with "those kinds of" memes and stuff.

Very organized. In much the same way that Trcump used Twitter Buttigieg is also. Better because it's NOT just Twitter.

Interesting to watch.

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
fun animated gif showing his many talents in two words.

Another day in Paradise.

Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post

Another day in Paradise.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I worry that he might NOT be the best positioned to eat Trump's lunch. That might be Biden, unless Joe completely unravels (even more so than he is managing to do currently ...). I know that some people have jumped all over his campaign for even thinking that they might have a sexuality issue with the African American community, but I think he probably DOES have a sexuality issue within that voting block. Anecdotes are just that, but mine is knowing African Americans who would not consider pulling the lever for him precisely because he is openly gay and married. His turnout in the minority community might condemn us to another four years of Trump buffoonery, national-international retreat, and (perhaps fatal) institutional erosion.

+1

Posts: 24841 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Big John- Big Grin

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yes, Daniel, I said that.

But I'm still voting for the guy if I get the chance! Big Grin

Posts: 12575 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Yes, Daniel, I said that.

But I'm still voting for the guy if I get the chance! Big Grin

Big Grin Big Grin

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Too many African Americans will not vote for
a gay man.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25737 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post