well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    New Iowa Frontrunner
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Iowa Frontrunner
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

But the states we need to win back do not have a lot of older, religious black people. Who cares if blacks in SC won’t support him.

The real issue is more nasty.

JFK was elected despite bias against Catholics. If there are any pics of him taking communion or kissing the pope’s ring, I have not seen them.

If Mayor Pete gives his husband a big old kiss in front of the cameras, he will lose votes. And if he doesn’t feel like he can kiss Chase the way Al kissed Tipper, that is sad.

Posts: 19765 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes.

Latest NH had Pete surging to take a ten point lead over Warren, who saw her support crater in the same poll two weeks ago. She dropped 10 points.

Also moving up is Klobuchar.

Harris is on life support, at one percent.

Hmmmm. I could live with Pete and Amy on the ticket. Midwestern Strong!

Posts: 19765 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Agreed.

But the states we need to win back do not have a lot of older, religious black people. Who cares if blacks in SC won’t support him.

I don’t know, some of these states could be pretty close, and AA turnout in places like Philly and Detroit, Dayton and Cleveland, etc., could make a difference.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33808 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Agreed.

I don’t know, some of these states could be pretty close, and AA turnout in places like Philly and Detroit, Dayton and Cleveland, etc., could make a difference.

I think you're correct, although id worry more about Milwaukee than Dayton. I'm not counting on Ohio. It seems to be getting redder. But Pete could help in other places, like Florida.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Agreed.

JFK was elected despite bias against Catholics. If there are any pics of him taking communion or kissing the pope’s ring, I have not seen them.

If Mayor Pete gives his husband a big old kiss in front of the cameras, he will lose votes. And if he doesn’t feel like he can kiss Chase the way Al kissed Tipper, that is sad.

Spot on about the dilemma, including the last point. But politics is a rough and tumble sport that isn't for the faint of heart. If Chasten has to stay chaste on the sidelines, that may be a necessary choice.

Posts: 12575 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
There is some speculation that Stacey Abrams might be willing to join a ticket as VP. I wonder what a Pete/Stacey ticket might be able to do.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
There is some speculation that Stacey Abrams might be willing to join a ticket as VP. I wonder what a Pete/Stacey ticket might be able to do.

Win! Big Grin

Posts: 12575 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
No doubt there are pictures of Pete and Chastain kissing
in Republican hands.
Pete/Stacey? You gotta be kidding.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25737 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Mayor of South Bend probably needs more than a state representative as a running mate.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33808 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Yeah, Mayor of South Bend probably needs more than a state representative as a running mate.

A real estate developer is a better choice than those two?

I think not.

Every potential VP choice has flaws, of one kind or another. You can pick apart anyone. (And, with respect to everyone currently in the field, the Democratic voters already have.) The key isn't what's wrong with them. The key is what they bring to the table.

The most valuable criticism of this hypothetical ticket I've heard so far is that black men might have a problem voting for a black woman. If they have a problem voting for a homosexual, adding a black woman to the ticket doesn't bring them into the fold.

To be clear, I don't know whether that's true or not. But, if true, it would reduce the value to making Stacey Pete's VP choice.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:

Totally agree.

I cringe at their public displays of affection not because of my own revulsion, but because I know that, on a visceral level, it will turn off most straight people, no matter what their politics. They need to stop doing that. Which, I agree, is sad. But it's better if they don't keep on reminding people that he has sex with a man.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21368 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
The most valuable criticism of this hypothetical ticket I've heard so far is that black men might have a problem voting for a black woman. If they have a problem voting for a homosexual, adding a black woman to the ticket doesn't bring them into the fold.

Somebody explain this to me? What is their problem?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Black men will vote for a black woman. No problem, no issue.

Not sure they will vote for a prosecutor with a record like Harris '.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you for restoring my faith

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

Thank you for restoring my faith

Unfortunately, it avoids the point I raised. I did not suggest that black men could have a problem voting for a black woman as President. Let me say it again, in clearer language:

1. It has been suggested publicly that black men might be reticent to vote for a homosexual man. If black men have a problem voting for a homosexual man, then

2. It's unclear whether adding a black woman to the ticket (as VP) overcomes that problem.

I have no way to gauge whether the first point is true or not (I've read speculation, but I absolutely defer to the judgment of others on this issue).

Likewise, if the first point is true, I have no way to gauge whether a black woman would help in that circumstance, or not.