well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Breakthrough infection?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breakthrough infection?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shingles vax can really knock you on your butt. Best to schedule when you have time to feel lousy for a few days.

Thanks for the reminder! I remember reading that, that's why I put it off, and then covid came.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Agreed - Shingles for me was far worse than any covid or flu vaccination I've had. But, to be honest, it was a sore arm for 3 days, and feeling take-some-Tylenol yucky for perhaps 2. The Tylenol definitely helped. I can't say I was miserable.

I had the two dose version, not the one dose. Shingrex? I can't remember, but definitely two doses.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Guess I've been super lucky, as (except for that eighth day Moderna reaction - ultra itchiness), I haven't had any unpleasant reactions to vaccinations, least of all perhaps to Shingrex - 1 or 2.

Hope that doesn't say bad things about my immune response.

Ok, two exceptions, one commonplace the second rare and an unexpected life changer.
First, is that starting as a kid, I've always gotten a real nasty case of sitting down ouchies from tetanus shots (remember one birthday party where I could scarcely sit to watch the movie).
The second, happened during one of my only two flu shots. The nurse jabbed me extra high on the deltoid and I've been in permanent pain. since, with limited mobility. Can't even lift that arm high enough to put hair scrunchies or whatever on my hair.

Miscellaneous googling suggests she landed the needle smack n a nerve, causing damage.

I think I'd trade unpleasant reactions to all the others where I got off light, to that one definite disability. (So, no, I haven't been "super lucky". Frowner )

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
My first shingles vaccination did nothing. I still have to get my second. My first COVID vaccination hurt a lot. My second didn't do much. The flu vaccination did nothing. I doubt the booster shot will do much. My point is it depends on the individual. Everyone's body reacts differently.

Posts: 24738 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Shingles vax can really knock you on your butt. Best to schedule when you have time to feel lousy for a few days.

Sigh. I need to get the shingles vaccine, and there is no such time for me.

The second COVID vaccine made me utterly miserable for a day or two, but I'd do it again.

Posts: 45757 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I got a shingles shot a few years ago, at my expense, only to discover a month or so later that there was now a much more effective shot that just came on the market.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, time for a do over! Wink

Posts: 12550 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, eldest's latest quickie test came back negative. He is still symptomatic, but he says he is improving by the day. He'll be locked down for a while yet.

Posts: 12550 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Well, time for a do over! Wink

Are "they" recommending that patients who had earlier Shingles vaccinations (if so, how much earlier?) have them redone and if so, both or just one?

Wonder how much the new ones cost, and percentage wise how much more effective they are.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
If you got the older Zostavax for Shingles, the CDC recommends that you go ahead and get the two dose Shingrix on top of it.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Shingles/Shingrix info:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/v.../shingrix/index.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I got my third Pfizer on Tuesday. It hurt a lot when it went in. I immediately felt like that side of my body was swelling up. Doctor on duty gave me a benadryl. We proceeded to run errands and I felt swollen glands in my neck on the vacc side and chills. All that went away before we got home, but the vacc site is still hot, red, swollen, hard, painful and itchy. I had no side effects the first two times except for an achy arm the next day. Maybe I should have used the other arm.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21353 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
I got my third Pfizer on Tuesday. It hurt a lot when it went in. I immediately felt like that side of my body was swelling up. Doctor on duty gave me a benadryl. We proceeded to run errands and I felt swollen glands in my neck on the vacc side and chills. All that went away before we got home, but the vacc site is still hot, red, swollen, hard, painful and itchy. I had no side effects the first two times except for an achy arm the next day. Maybe I should have used the other arm.

Sorry for the reaction. Odd and somehow worrying about it happening on the third shot.

Suggests to me that you really did need that booster - that your body really responded to that third one because your earlier protection had worn off.

How long had it been since you had the other ones?

Have you heard about anyone else with a similar reaction, and at that same point in your vaccination history?

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Interesting to me to hear about others' experiences. I am now eligible for the booster and I plan on getting it very soon.

My wife and I have been going out recently to venues where vaccination is required. I hope that reduces our risk to a lower level. I'm very tired of not enjoying some of our usual activities.

My daughter-in-law tested positive last weekend. She and my son had been vaccinated and he also had COVID last November. He and their 2-year old daughter have tested negative. They thought that they might have been exposed via their daughter's preschool, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

There seems to be no sure-fire ways to avoid the disease. Maybe the best we can hope for is that it is not severe. That seems to have been the case for the 1918 pandemic. From what I've read, the virus continued to circulate in the population for 40+ years, but the level of immunity had risen to a point where widespread infections no longer occurred.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7420 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Drat, I got the Shingrix series. I guess that means I'll need to get another round.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post