well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Breakthrough infection?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breakthrough infection?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Thanks for all your kind words. Didn't get the flu shot, but more info emerged to say it's not the flu.

We were visiting relatives on Long Island. On Monday night, a couple came visiting at my brother-in-law's place. Today, my BIL said that couple called to say they have just tested positive for Covid. And my BIL got tested and also was positive. He feels just like I do.

The only one who is fine is my wife, who received a booster a week or two earlier because she is receiving anticancer treatments. She has absolutely no symptoms.

So now we know how it all happened!

I think, the best news is that your wife was successfully protected from COVID by her having gotten a jump on her booster - both because she was kept safe and because it shows how effective the booster was at resisting all that viral load!

Seems like the much touted prophylaxis is working as it's supposed to.

Be well all of you!

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about your wife's condition and sorry you are sick!! We are getting the booster shot the minute we get the green light from the county health department. We have the worst case load here per capita, I understand. Frowner

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Ugh...Sending negative thoughts your way! Yes

From Beelady who is about to end her isolation after attending a wedding in the NY/NJ area...

Wishing you both are virus free.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
How are you feeling today, RP?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks, wtg, doing better. A little fatigued, but temp down to 98.7, more energy, no cough. Taste and smell aren’t back yet.

Learned the infection point was actually a couple of days earlier at a big restaurant dinner for friends!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear your symptoms are abating.

And the reminder to continue to stay out of restaurants! Wink

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
…and the guests at the dinner had supposedly been vetted about their vaccination status in advance!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Clearly, we're seeing a lot of breakthrough cases.

The vaccine is good at keeping you out of the hospital and alive, but someone can still catch the virus and pass it along to others, including other vaccinated people.

It's still much better position to be in than where we were back in March 2020!

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Definitely. My son and his gf both tested positive earlier this week. They are young and fully vaccinated. Both felt crummy for a day, which prompted them to get tested. By the time they got their positive results back, they were already feeling better. As my son said at the time, "I feel like I have a cold but it's on its way out." (As an aside, just behold in wonderment the correct use of it's and its. I've been on social media too long.... Big Grin ).

They have a social "pod," and the entire group tested positive. No one knows who or how the pod was infiltrated, but no one is feeling particularly crummy other than the fact that they have to quarantine for 14 days. When you're in your 20s, that's a major hardship.

I thought about Jodi's Steve and how awful he felt. Thank you Pfizer and Moderna.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Eldest is quarantining. His gf is giving him some food offerings so he doesn't starve Wink

He is a fine cook, but he isn't able to shop.

He still has mild cold symptoms plus a little shortness of breath ... though his pulse oximeter isn't giving any worrying numbers. He will test again at the end of the week.

Posts: 12543 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Results are in, and the CDC says geezers like me need a booster. I’m eligible.

Calling around tomorrow. Might as well get a flu shot too. Now would not be a good time to get sick. If they offer anything else I’ll get that too.
That’s why I have two arms… ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Glad for you, Steve.

Does this mean you started out with the Pfizer vaccine and are now getting your third?

I guess we Moderna-ites have a ways to go until we're eligible for our boosters - that, or they've approved the mix 'n match approach.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Results are in, and the CDC says geezers like me need a booster. I’m eligible.

Calling around tomorrow. Might as well get a flu shot too. Now would not be a good time to get sick. If they offer anything else I’ll get that too.
That’s why I have two arms… ThumbsUp

Yep. I got mine Friday morning. I booked the reservation online within a half hour after it was approved…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Steve, what about the shingles vax? Or did you already get it.

I need to schedule mine.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Shingles vax can really knock you on your butt. Best to schedule when you have time to feel lousy for a few days.

I try to space out any vaccines if possible. Your immune system is doing a lot of work to respond to each of the vaccines; no sense in overloading it all at once.

Bazootiehead-in-training