well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Cyber war preps?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cyber war preps?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Not a bad idea to get a short stack of 20s out of the bank. It’s not inconceivable that Russia targets payment networks or banks.

Might fill your tank while you’re out.

Hopefully all for naught, but I remember the blackout of 2003 in NYC. ATMs didn’t work and stores couldn’t process cards.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Could be far worse than a few cyber attacks shortly.

The US has seemingly just green-lighted transferring jets from NATO arsenals (Poland, for instance) to Ukraine. We would then backfill Poland's needs with new equipment.

The problem, of course, is how you ensure that the Russians don't simply wait for the new Ukrainian jets to fly back into Ukrainian airspace before engaging them and destroying all of them. Do we plan to allow Ukraine to fly combat missions from Polish airfields, returning to rearm and re-fly at will? That would be a big risky bet that Russian wouldn't launch lots of missiles directly at these Polish airbases.

I'm beginning to smell the one-step-after-another sequence that ultimately turns into one huge misstep. A misstep right into World War Three in Europe.

Blinken Green Lights Sending Jets

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We did the bank thing a few weeks ago. Probably should top off the cars, though we really don't drive very far these days.

I'm actually more concerned about the grid.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Sure there are lots of other concerns but few are actionable by people like us.

I guess you could get a generator if you don’t have one.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We have one. Also a manual transfer switch so we can power the essentials in the house without too much trouble.

Ours runs only on gasoline (not one of the newer models that are dual or triple fuel), which could be problematic if power outages are widespread and you can't buy more gas.

edit: And of course a million other things can go wrong, like no water. If they want to hit us, they will.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:

The US has seemingly just green-lighted transferring jets from NATO arsenals (Poland, for instance) to Ukraine. We would then backfill Poland's needs with new equipment.

I read there’s something like 70 MIGs in NATO arsenal. Ukrainians already know how to fly and fix them. NATO can be backfilled with US technology. I’m surprised this didn’t happen weeks ago.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Weeks ago would have been fine. I don't see how it can happen now without Russia potentially taking it as tantamount to a war declaration.

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
There’s so much precedent for the US and Russia to arm each other’s enemies. From Central America to the Middle East. It was never treated as an act of war.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
How do you get the planes into Ukraine? How do you keep them from being blown to bits the moment they cross into Ukraine from, say, Poland? How do you use them if a few actually manage to land at a Ukrainian airbase and the Russians then blast the base with missiles and airstrikes? I'm not seeing how this actually works short of NATO protection of Ukrainian airspace, or allowing the Ukrainian pilots to fly missions using NATO airbases. Tell me how this works.

It's a lot easier to ship stinger missiles to the border in a truck where they can be offloaded in the dark at 2:00 A.M. for quick disbursement to the front.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:

The problem, of course, is how you ensure that the Russians don't simply wait for the new Ukrainian jets to fly back into Ukrainian airspace before engaging them and destroying all of them. Do we plan to allow Ukraine to fly combat missions from Polish airfields, returning to rearm and re-fly at will? That would be a big risky bet that Russian wouldn't launch lots of missiles directly at these Polish airbases.

I'm beginning to smell the one-step-after-another sequence that ultimately turns into one huge misstep. A misstep right into World War Three in Europe.

If you engage a Ukranian jet, you should expect the Ukranian jet to fire back. This isn't, as they say, rocket science.

Attacking a base in Poland before warning Poland to stop letting Ukranian jets take off from there would be a major escalation. It's not as if Poland would be allowing the Ukranian jets to fly missions from there (although maybe that's coming). It's just a transport and refueling stop. One-time only.

More generally, it's beginning to look to me as if Russia is engaged in a war of attrition. I have read that they'd need a minimum of 100,000 troops (including backup for R&R leave) to maintain occupation of Ukraine indefinitely. And they'd be sitting ducks for guerilla warfare. I don't imagine that the Russians will be better at fighting an insurgency than we were. And then there's the reaction back home, especially when any returning troops tell their stories.

Putin's endgame is really a bit of a mystery here.

Posts: 45741 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do you get the planes into Ukraine? How do you keep them from being blown to bits the moment they cross into Ukraine from, say, Poland? How do you use them if a few actually manage to land at a Ukrainian airbase and the Russians then blast the base with missiles and airstrikes? I'm not seeing how this actually works short of NATO protection of Ukrainian airspace, or allowing the Ukrainian pilots to fly missions using NATO airbases. Tell me how this works.

It's a lot easier to ship stinger missiles to the border in a truck where they can be offloaded in the dark at 2:00 A.M. for quick disbursement to the front.

From what I have read, which is all any of us have, Russia does not yet control Ukraine's airspace.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
A thread worth reading on whether Putin might use tactical nukes (I have read that Russia outnumbers us on those), and what the response might be.

https://twitter.com/wellerstei.../1500660695804825603

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Thanks for posting it.

More on whether Putin is rational.

https://twitter.com/andreivkoz...610676926005251?s=21

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

If you engage a Ukranian jet, you should expect the Ukranian jet to fire back. This isn't, as they say, rocket science.

Attacking a base in Poland before warning Poland to stop letting Ukranian jets take off from there would be a major escalation. It's not as if Poland would be allowing the Ukranian jets to fly missions from there (although maybe that's coming). It's just a transport and refueling stop. One-time only.

More generally, it's beginning to look to me as if Russia is engaged in a war of attrition. I have read that they'd need a minimum of 100,000 troops (including backup for R&R leave) to maintain occupation of Ukraine indefinitely. And they'd be sitting ducks for guerilla warfare. I don't imagine that the Russians will be better at fighting an insurgency than we were. And then there's the reaction back home, especially when any returning troops tell their stories.

From the NYT today:

quote:
Western governments have said most of Ukraine's air force is intact.

No idea what they are using for a base. Maybe somewhere near Lviv?

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

And especially when they come home telling tales of torturing and killing people who are just like them culturally and genetically.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post