well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A most wonderful autumn

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A most wonderful autumn
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
We're on like day 9 of temps well above average. Typically in early November it's in the 50s, but today we're in the mid 70s.

It's been breezy every day and there are leaves everywhere even though people (including me) have been raking regularly.

Yesterday I saw at least half a dozen homes whose owners were taking advantage of the nice weather and putting up Christmas decorations.

Some pics from a couple of recent walks in my neighborhood...

Leaves!

I wish there were a way to send you the scent of this autumn-blooming common witch hazel. The leafless branches are full of tiny spidery-looking yellow flowers. The scent is amazing. Not overwhelming, just very distinctive and, I find, very pleasant.

This specimen is quite large. I'm going to be doing an overhaul of my yard and next year and think I'll try to incorporate one somewhere.

I love when I walk past it and catch the scent.

Oakleaf hydrangea, one of my absolute favorite shrubs.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
One more....a Judd viburnum in my back yard that has some beautiful color this year. Normally it's a bit drab, but it's outdoing itself in 2020; it had lots of wonderfully scented flowers in the spring and this great color in the autumn.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Love the photos!!! I love autumn, and for the most part, we're having a nice one down here as well! Smiler

Things also seem a lot nicer since Saturday as well!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Same here. Weather the past few days has been exceptionally nice. The fall colors were as beautiful as I can recall and they've lasted exceptionally long. The maples are mostly bare or at least past their prime, but the oaks have a rich blend of ochre and sienna tones that they're slow to surrender. It does mean that leaves have fallen in batches. I've cleared them from the yard twice and I'll be doing it again before we're done, but that's a small price to pay for being able to enjoy the season so long.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Christmas comes early.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
And we are way below normal. It was 2 degrees this morning. And 14 when I went out to see the horse.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I was in Washington State over the weekend and it really was beautiful. The leaves are turning and quite spectacular!

It was overcast until about 15 minutes before the service when the skies cleared. Cool, clear and sunny. Beautiful!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Several days of sunny 70 degree weather in Maine . Jodi take note!

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post