well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Adaptation Studies

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adaptation Studies
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
I have just learnt that an old acquaintance (a writer, one I haven't met for over two decades) claims to be in a field called "Adaptation Studies."

I tried to look up "Adaptation Studies" and found that:
  • Wikipedia does not have an article specifically on "Adaptation Studies" yet
  • The first page hits from Google about "Adaptation Studies" are papers/publications talking about how much and how quickly the field is changing (rather than anything with a short passage that actually says what "Adaptation Studies" is).

I asked ChatGPT and got something like this:
quote:
Adaptation studies is an interdisciplinary field that focuses on the study of the process of adapting works of literature, film, and other forms of media from one medium or culture to another. ...

So, from what little I have seen, "Adaptation Studies" must be something fairly new as a field, but likely with just enough being written about it before 2021 for it to make it into ChatGPT's model.

Now I am curious ... any of you folks know about "Adaptation Studies" as a field of study before seeing the term here? If you do, what do you think of it?

Mary Anna, Shirokuro ... do you see this field being recognized by your respective institutions?

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I would've assumed it was something I'm biology ....

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a real field. I own the field-defining book, Linda Hutcheon's A Theory of Adaptation (2006). Its primary journal, Adaptation, is about the same age. I know people whose primary field of studies is adaptation theory.

I use it in my work on Agatha Christie, as she is famous for working and reworking her material over her fifty-year career, often adapting them from the page to the stage or from story to book. Adaptation studies is one critical framework I use to look at her reoccurring story elements to see what they can tell us about her writing practices and about how she responded to changes in society over her half-century-long career.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

Posts: 24719 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post