well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Adaptation Studies

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/2663903897

05 May 2023, 01:12 AM
Axtremus
Adaptation Studies
I have just learnt that an old acquaintance (a writer, one I haven't met for over two decades) claims to be in a field called "Adaptation Studies."

I tried to look up "Adaptation Studies" and found that:

I asked ChatGPT and got something like this:
quote:
Adaptation studies is an interdisciplinary field that focuses on the study of the process of adapting works of literature, film, and other forms of media from one medium or culture to another. ...

So, from what little I have seen, "Adaptation Studies" must be something fairly new as a field, but likely with just enough being written about it before 2021 for it to make it into ChatGPT's model.

Now I am curious ... any of you folks know about "Adaptation Studies" as a field of study before seeing the term here? If you do, what do you think of it?

Mary Anna, Shirokuro ... do you see this field being recognized by your respective institutions?

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

05 May 2023, 09:28 PM
Nina
I would've assumed it was something I'm biology ....
06 May 2023, 01:54 PM
Mary Anna
Yes, it's a real field. I own the field-defining book, Linda Hutcheon's A Theory of Adaptation (2006). Its primary journal, Adaptation, is about the same age. I know people whose primary field of studies is adaptation theory.

I use it in my work on Agatha Christie, as she is famous for working and reworking her material over her fifty-year career, often adapting them from the page to the stage or from story to book. Adaptation studies is one critical framework I use to look at her reoccurring story elements to see what they can tell us about her writing practices and about how she responded to changes in society over her half-century-long career.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

07 May 2023, 01:32 AM
Daniel
Interesting.