well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Instant pot deal on Amazon. Recipes, too!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instant pot deal on Amazon. Recipes, too!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That chicken cacciatore recipe looks great. We usually do the one from joy of cooking (called Hunter’s chicken, I think)

https://realocalcooking.wordpr...is-dish-pass-you-by/

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20456 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
That chicken cacciatore recipe looks great. We usually do the one from joy of cooking (called Hunter’s chicken, I think)

https://realocalcooking.wordpr...is-dish-pass-you-by/

If you have one you like, use those ingredients and adjust cooking times based on the IP recipe. That's how I'm playing with mine!

PS: Don't make rice porridge with brown rice. Based on last night's fail. But Mr. AM wanted me to try, and I did. Bleah. Cooked it much longer than white rice porridge, and it still didn't break down enough. But the turkey drumstick cooked so long the meat and skinny bones were falling off the bone, making little choking hazards. Back to white rice!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post

So I’m doing Chicken Cacciatore. Two big chicken thighs (I trim the fatty skin, but leave some on, I like the flavor it gives. I’m cooking it for the same amount of time I did the curry, since the chicken turned out great in that recipe.

I LOVE that I can sauté and brown the meat in this thing, even better that it has a timer - so if I forget about it, it just turns itself off! (I’ve been terrible lately multitasking while cooking, I’m lucky I haven’t burned the house down... Basically this is like doing the recipe in my little le creuset pot, but WAY FASTER. Did I mention this is the second house we’ve lived in that has no vent over the stove? So faster is nice, as it means that’s way less time that the cooking smells have to permeate the entire house...

I am loving this thing! I am not always good about getting dinner going in a timely manner, so this thing is perfect for that! Chile tomorrow night, I think. Then maybe pulled pork sandwiches...

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I can't seem to find the recipe for pj's legendary curry. Can someone post it? And if you changed the recipe for the IP, could you post those amendments?

Hi

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37894 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
OK, what is the awesomeness of the Zojirushi?

My son got me a plain ol' rice cooker last year--my first ever. I LOVE it, and find it hard to expand my mind enough to figure out how it could be improved.

Teach me your ways, o ye cookers of rice! Smiler

The fuzzy logic Zoji is many steps above a simple rice cooker (which is awesome on its own). It's kind of an early version (like decades) of the Instant Pot, but with rice as the focus. It has multiple settings for different kinds of rice (white, brown, sushi), and it has a Porridge setting that's great for congee and things like steel cut oats.

The IP is flexible in that it can do a lot of different things. It's a pressure cooker, slow cooker, saute pot, rice cooker...

I have not yet tried my IP to cook rice, because I already use a Zoji for that, so I don't know how well it executes that function. My guess is that you can do well with just the IP and a simple rice cooker, or no rice cooker at all, unless you are a rice geek. But I'm hanging on to my Zojirushi...we've been together for probably twenty years....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37894 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I had posted some recipes in another IP thread that Quirt started months ago. I've added them to the WTF Cookbook if anyone wants them.

Please be sure to save your best recipes in the cookbook so that they don't get lost during one of our periodic thread clean ups.

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
I can't seem to find the recipe for pj's legendary curry. Can someone post it? And if you changed the recipe for the IP, could you post those amendments?

Hi

I posted PJ's recipe on page one of this thread; my comments are in parentheses. I think the only thing I don't use that he does, are cardamom pods, because I never have any on hand. And for the crock pot, there's additional water to bring the level up, but that's not needed in the IP.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Making pulled pork right now. Probably am not cooking it long enough to fall apart, but we may be too hungry to wait...

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:

Hi

I posted PJ's recipe on page one of this thread; my comments are in parentheses. I think the only thing I don't use that he does, are cardamom pods, because I never have any on hand. And for the crock pot, there's additional water to bring the level up, but that's not needed in the IP.

facepalm and Thank You.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I made split pea soup yesterday and it's the best I've ever had. The instant pot isn't a whole lot faster than making it on the stove but the set-and-forget features made it seem a lot faster.

I used this vegan recipe and added two smoked pork hocks which I sauteed in the IP before adding the rest of the ingredients.

I took some pictures but honestly it looks terrible. The vegetable to split pea ratio is very high and it looks like mud. I don't care - this recipe is a keeper.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34942 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I got stuff to make the split pea soup you linked to tomorrow. Check out the most awesome deal I got at our local Mardens! (They are a salvage store, and they have the BEST stuff). Truck must’ve flipped, or something - this is the 6 quart (remember, I bought the 3 quart a few weeks ago). $58!!

It’s cooking a pot roast now. Now I can get rid of both my crock pots...

Also - they had the fancy Dyson cordless vacuum - more than half off the price I could get on Amazon - our old one is finally failing, I kept thinking I was going to replace it, then I’d look at the price and freak out. I love that store.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the great deal, jodi! ThumbsUp

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Great deal! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34942 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I read on the internet that cooking hard boiled eggs in a pressure cooker makes them easier to peel.

It works!

Put eggs in a single layer on the steamer rack, add 1 cup of water and pressure cook on hi for 7 minutes. Release steam manually and fill pot with cold water to stop cooking.

The eggs came out the perfect level of doneness for me - yolk is set but not dry. Very easy to peel.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I've done hard-boiled eggs in the Instant Pot. Dead simple.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post