well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Instant pot deal on Amazon. Recipes, too!
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 15

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instant pot deal on Amazon. Recipes, too!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
I miss those big things of dried mushrooms at Costco. I miss a lot of things from Costco (except maybe pushing the carts Big Grin) I think our closest Costco is over 3 hours away, and in Canada.

Ours is 2-1/2 hours away, either to the north (Kansas) or the south (Dallas). But there's always mail order from Costco. I still get dog food from there.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'll have to check for those big containers of dried mushrooms. Been a while since I've seen them at our Costco.

Were they shiitakes only, or the mixed selection?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
I'll have to check for those big containers of dried mushrooms. Been a while since I've seen them at our Costco.

Were they shiitakes only, or the mixed selection?

Mixed! But I don't have the packaging; it went home with Kid1.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
These are the only two available for mail order: morel mushrooms and lobster mushrooms.

https://www.costco.com/Manitou...oduct.100313969.html

https://www.costco.com/Manitou...oduct.100313967.html

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Ours came in one of those plastic canisters, and they're definitely mixed! Time for a Costco field trip? Nah, AFTER Christmas.

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I remember buying them in the big plastic canisters a few years ago. Lot of mushrooms, nice mix, and really inexpensive (as dried mushrooms go).

Thought about going to Costco today, but if I do, I'll have Mr WTG drop me off in front and I'll text him when I'm ready to be picked up.....

OTOH, I may just wait till next week....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
I remember buying them in the big plastic canisters a few years ago. Lot of mushrooms, nice mix, and really inexpensive (as dried mushrooms go).

Thought about going to Costco today, but if I do, I'll have Mr WTG drop me off in front and I'll text him when I'm ready to be picked up.....

OTOH, I may just wait till next week....

My recollection is that Costco in the week between Christmas and New Year's is a place to be avoided. But I understand the pull ... Smiler

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Costco.

Good news: Not many crowds.

Bad news: No mushrooms either.

Hey, AM....any chance you could post the Costco item number from the shrooms if you still have the container? No rush; not going back there soon.

I can have the folks at my local store look it up and see if any of the stores around here have them. There really is a difference in what each store carries, and my store is one of the smallest in the area....

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Here you go!

0AC75526-69D8-4FF0-A39B-24886DB65396 by pianomom2001, on Flickr

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Bazootiehead-in-training

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
We did our first outing with the Instant Pot. We weren't wildly impressed. We made a teriyaki chicken. We found it somewhat stringy and bland - somewhat like what we encountered with a crock pot.

I grill year round where the chicken comes out more flavorful, tender and juicy.

I'm going to try the Instant Pot with steel cut oatmeal tomorrow. We'll see how it does.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Not everything is better in the instant pot. It does not replicate a grill. If it’s a grilled recipe normally, it will be better on the grill. The instant pot is best for those recipes that you would normally cook in a Dutch oven (covered on the stove, or in the oven) or in a crock pot. And it’s best because you can do all your cooking in the pot, and it is VERY fast. So things you need to cook all day for them to turn out, you can start at 4 or 4:30 (or even 5:30!) and have them for dinner.

As to chicken - White meat or dark? I usually do chicken thighs. I saute, the sauté bits, then I brown the skin of the thighs. Then I take the chcken out, deglaze the pot, put everything in and lay the chicken on the top (brown side up) - the skin doesn’t stay crispy, but it does keep that nice browned color. 15 minute pressure cook at medium, and let it depressurize itself.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
What jodi said, especially about it not being a grill.

It's my go-to for making chicken stock and risotto. I love Indian food but have never been very successful at cooking it until I got the IP; now we have it all the time and it's foolproof.

Quick cooking of grains and beans. I've seen recipes for cakes and desserts, but haven't tried any of those. I love rice pudding in my rice cooker, and I suspect the porridge setting on the IP will yield the same good results.

There are a bunch of recipes in this thread and in WTF cookbook....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I don’t have an Instant Pot but if anyone is looking for slow cooker recipes that are flavourful and don’t taste like they were made in a slow cooker, check out books by Ricardo. Our favourite is his second book, Slower is Better, but we use his first one, Slow Cooker Favourites, all the time, too. As soon as we started using his recipes we stopped using all other slow cooker recipes. He’s Canadian, so it looks like in the US Kindle might be a better option than ordering the actual book:

https://www.amazon.com/Ricardo...id=1514386674&sr=1-1

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The IP has a slow cooker setting, too...

Thanks for the recommendation on the cookbook, dol. For some reason it says the Kindle version is not available for sale, but I did find Ricardo's website and there seem to be a lot of recipes there. I think I'll try some of them out...as a bonus, the recipes use US measurements, no conversions required!

Slow cooker recipes: https://www.ricardocuisine.com.../slow-cooker-recipes

Bazootiehead-in-training