well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Just part of living in the city?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just part of living in the city?
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted
Or a sign of what may be coming?

I'll start off by reminding you that about a year ago, MrsTuner and I went through a significant downsize from a large house in the suburbs to a rental condo in an old converted office building near the downtown area of Chicago. Both semi-retired, we've really come to enjoy city living with so many fun things to do nearby!

When we first moved, I was worried about random crime walking around. We make it a habit to be done being out-and-about by around 7-8pm, and I felt comforted by the number of people walking in the neighborhood - lots of businesses and colleges nearby translated to tons of foot traffic. Over the year, we got comfortable at taking trains and walking and usually went with our guts to turn or avoid anything that might look fishy.

We are still getting out for long walks, but have noticed that only other walkers and those that are taking their dogs out seem to be in the neighborhood...

Yesterday I was coming back from a solo walk and got jumped from behind about a block from our place where the sidewalk crosses under some train tracks. I had seen a few kids yelling at each other a half-block away but just headed towards home. Surreal is the best way to describe it - Three or four young kids, one jumped up on my back - didn't hear him coming at all. (I wondered who was playing around, this isn't social distancing!) and another tripped me and they all began punching my head.... Hmm, this feels more serious than playing around, so I yelled for help and worked to get up off the ground. Luckily, there was someone that shouted at them to get off as one was flipping my wallet out of my back pocket. (I hadn't even thought of a robbery at that point...) The wallet fell to the ground as he turned to run off. My glasses and wallet survived intact. I only took a few good hits - they must've had gloves on and not been swinging too hard because I came through without any real visible damage. Worse part (in addition to feeling like I should've somehow been able to do more) was re-injuring an old shoulder injury. My right arm will have limited mobility for a while.

So, just run-of-the-mill city mayhem with kids wandering around without school, or a sign of what may be coming as more people and families are placed in dire circumstances?

I guess I better start walking with some pepper spray out and try to be more observant. Also, now I have a "walking wallet" for the city even once this is over which will only have one credit card and a transit card. Easily stopped and replaced.

Wondering about the future... sigh.

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Wow, ron. Sorry to hear that happened to you.

I've been hearing a lot about things like that occurring all over our fair city, all pre-coronavirus. Phone thefts and carjackings are pretty routine, with gangs of young people roaming around and causing all kinds of mayhem. The fact that you were alone certainly didn't help.

It certainly could get worse with the added pressure that the pandemic brings.

Stay safe.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
OMG! I am so sorry you had this happen!

I moved to the city as well, and while I live in a more suburban type area, I often walk in other areas of town..But I never worry about being jumped...Most crime here is property or against folks known to each other.

I am happy to hear you are ok physically....Hoping you can recover from this in other ways.. Frowner

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
OMG. That’s just awful - how frightening! I am so sorry your shoulder was re-injured and really glad you were not seriously hurt.

Hope your shoulder heals fast!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
OMG Ron, I am so, so sorry to hear this! And I'm sorry that your shoulder was injured. Did you get medical attention? Or have a phone consultation?

Do you know the signs to look for for concussion?
Here's a list from the Mayo Clinic:
Headache.
Ringing in the ears.
Nausea.
Vomiting.
Fatigue or drowsiness.
Blurry vision.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/dis...-causes/syc-20355594

You might also have Mrs. Ron look at your pupils and make sure they are the same size...
https://www.cdc.gov/traumaticb...injury/symptoms.html

(Sorry, this might seem like overkill, but I had a concussion where the symptoms didn't really appear until the next day, and I ended up with post-concussion syndrome, so I believe you can never be too careful.)

Comfort

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Thanks all - I've actually taken much bigger hits on the basketball and volleyball courts, or goofing around when I was younger...

I have a partial tear in one of my rotator cuffs, so this isn't particularly new.

I let the local police know so they can monitor hot-spots as they develop. We actually have a pretty large police show of force in our neighborhood...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
HairRaising Frowner

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
WHOA...

Glad that someone was nearby to lend a hand...or yell.

I can't imagine the shock and glad that you are ok.

You mention pepper spray. How would that have helped? They ganged up on you and knocked you down quite fast...???

I live where it feels quite safe but can't run (knee) and getting on in years. Can't imagine.

Hope your wife won't be walking alone...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
That is scary.
Hope the shoulder is better soon.

My father once threw cash out his door go get people to leave. They were outside of town.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
How would pepper spray help? Wouldn't have helped that afternoon, but I turned my back on a potential problem brewing... my bad.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry this happened to you. That’s terrible.

I’m guessing we should all be more vigilant.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
OMG Ron! I am so sorry that you went through this horrific event! Like you need something else to add pain and anxiety at this time in history.

What will the city/state/fed do if roving gangs of thugs start to be the norm all over?

Been putting this off for a long time. I need to go clean my guns and load some additional ammo.

Think I will order a shotgun as well.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for being here. Of course, I told MrsTuner right away, but you are the first outside of her. I just felt I should tell my story to help 'let it go'...

Working on healing now. I may go try to tune a piano at the University to see how my shoulder handles it.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
So sorry this happened to you. Ron. Hope you are pretty unscathed. It’s something I worry about too though never had an incident in 35 years.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I propose a renewed interest in baseball. Never leave home without a bat.

Did you ever see “Escape from New York”?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post