well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Just part of living in the city?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just part of living in the city?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
That's awful. I'm so sorry.

I have found that walking a dog made me more vigilant. If the dog has a tendency to react in ways you don't want it to react, you have to be able to see potential triggers before the dog does. As a result, I'm now far more aware of my surroundings, even without the dog.

A sizable dog is also good protection.

Posts: 45740 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Wow. That’s horrible Ron. I don’t know what to say.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Wow! For many of the past few years I actually carried two wallets - one to be given if someone were to hold me up - it contained my cash and some rather unimportant things - and another smaller wallet with license, credit card and insurance stuff. I always carried both wallets in front pockets so I might have control of who got which.

And Yes, I wanted to give them the wallet that clearly had cash in it. That's what they're looking for. I have a couple of friends who pride themselves on only carrying $3. I don't carry hundreds but I always thought it STUPID to carry $3 since the last thing I want to have happen is to be forced to go with someone to a cash station or be beaten because they were not happy. I would prefer a quick transaction with limited anger, violence and contact.

It's good to periodically take a picture or photocopy the contents of your wallet in case it is lost or stolen.

It takes a while to get over something like that. I'm sorry you were injured - glad you weren't hurt worse as they certainly didn't care how badly you were hurt. It could just as easily have happened in your old neighborhood. The are some sonic alarms that are good for that - 120 decibels of screaming sound can do a lot to dissuade people from staying there.

Even a small (or large) weapon won't help if you're already down on the ground and being knocked unconscious or worse.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Really glad you're not in worse shape - though I'm sorry about the shoulder.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I had the same instinct about carrying two cell phones. Give them the cheap less desirable one.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Kluurs...

Sonic alarms?

Do tell...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Here's one

You need to be able to grab it quickly - but once activated, it will scream quite loudly.

Like many things - you do need to make sure you have a working battery in it.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Kluurs, good idea on the little screamers - I just ordered a couple!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
Here's one

You need to be able to grab it quickly - but once activated, it will scream quite loudly.

Like many things - you do need to make sure you have a working battery in it.
. One review...... Everyone should have one of these. You get two. Very easy to use. just pull the key chain ends out, it will make a super harsh noise that people around you will notice. The sound is like the fire alarm sound in building. You will have to cover your ears. This is how loud it gets. Charging is easy. It also comes with two usb lines. If you are giving one away, that person can get a charge line as well. However, any charging cable with USB ends will work.
I keep one in the purse when I go out and one at home when i have to go to the dumpster area at night.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'm late opening this thread. Wow, Ron. That's awful. I'm really glad that you're okay, and I don't think you should feel bad about "turning your back on the problem." You were in the process of walking away. What were you going to do? Walk toward them? Back away and call attention to yourself.

I hope your shoulder is better soon and I'm glad you're okay.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ron, how are you feeling today?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18471 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Each day the shoulder is improving... slowly. If past experience re-injuring it is a guide, it won't feel 'normal' for a few months. Once it settles, I'll start my old rehab exercises again!

Emotionally doing pretty well, though at night my mind tends to wander back until I meditate it away.

Thanks for asking and being here!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ron, glad your shoulder is improving!! I am just so, so grateful that you are ok and it wasn't any worse!

Re this:
quote:
Emotionally doing pretty well, though at night my mind tends to wander back until I meditate it away.

I can imagine! Be patient with yourself, be gentle with yourself.

Comfort

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18471 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Kluurs, good idea on the little screamers - I just ordered a couple!

I ordered that two pack also. Thanks, kluurs.

BTW, Amazon seems to have raised the digital purchase credit from $1.50 to $3 if you pick no-rush shipping.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post