well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Installing railing along the stairs
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Installing railing along the stairs
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Or you could do a wood slat wall:

I've also seen some cool cutout/stencil panels...

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Re the carpet, he said he could probably peel back the carpet and then have a carpet layer replace it after the railing was installed (i.e., we wouldn't have to get new carpet). If so, that would be good bc I don't think we're going to do anything to the flooring down there for now.

My rule for "keep the flooring uniform" really refers to surfaces that are on the same level and adjacent to each other. While I think leaving the flooring (vinyl and carpet) in the main area is the way to go, I would be thinking about what to do on the stairs during this handrail project.

Do you want the carpet long term so keep it and work around it? Balusters into carpeting is a bit dated (see that pic I posted earlier). Would you prefer finished wood treads with a nice runner down the center? I mean, it doesn't have to match the carpet in the basement area, it just should work with it.

Or maybe you'd prefer no carpet at all. And do the railing in a style and color (probably stained oak) that works with the rest of the house. Personally, I like a simple runner down the center of stairs with finished wood treads. I'm a stocking-footed person in the house and find bare wood to be treacherous. But I'm old.... Big Grin

A lot depends on what's under that carpet. But you're going to have to peel back some of it regardless, so maybe take a look sooner rather than later so you have a good idea of what your options are.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The cutout one is fantastic! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG, those slats and cutouts are really pretty!! I feel like they would probably be a mismatch with the room though because they're so modern and fancy. I'm going to be looking at different options online though, and I'll show them to MR SK, I think it opens up the possibilities.

quote:
Do you want the carpet long term so keep it and work around it? Balusters into carpeting is a bit dated (see that pic I posted earlier). Would you prefer finished wood treads with a nice runner down the center? I mean, it doesn't have to match the carpet in the basement area, it just should work with it.

Or maybe you'd prefer no carpet at all. And do the railing in a style and color (probably stained oak) that works with the rest of the house. Personally, I like a simple runner down the center of stairs with finished wood treads. I'm a stocking-footed person in the house and find bare wood to be treacherous

This is tricky... At the top of the stairs is the flooring that's the same through out the main level. Then this carpeted stairway, then the basement room...

I was thinking that if we didn't have carpet on the stairs, I would want the stairs to match the first floor flooring. But maybe that's not necessary? I need to think about it a little more.

Also, if the stairs matched the first floor flooring, then I think it wouldn't match the basement flooring and might be kind of jarring.

So keeping the carpet is easy because it's not a mismatch.

Can we peel back the carpet ourselves without messing it up?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
choices, choices...

Indeed! I've been googling around and it's kind of overwhelming.

I'm thinking we want something very simple...

Here is the railing at our rental house, what style would you call this?

I think something similar to that: i.e., a simple design, possibly with a handrail to match the style of the handrail on the opposite wall and two balusters per step could work very well. If you wanted to leave the carpet in place for the present, it could probably be notched out where the balusters rise from a connection securing them to the stringer beneath the stairs up to the handrail. I'd choose a wood and finish to match the other woodwork in the basement. I don't see any fancy molding anywhere else so it should be a straightforward piece of construction.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7412 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't see any fancy molding anywhere else so it should be a straightforward piece of construction.

No, fortunately, the only millwork down there is the baseboard and window trim, and it's fairly simple so should be easy to match.

It's funny, I never really paid attention to the railing on the stairs at our rental house, but the more I look at this photo, the more it gives me a 19070s, Brady Bunch vibe. Which is odd, because this house was built in the late 1990s. Who knows!

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
but the more I look at this photo, the more it gives me a 19070s, Brady Bunch vibe.

THAT'S IT!!!!!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

The stair railings are attached to the rental, so I'm not worried about that...

But the love chair doesn't help, does it? It's too brown.

Why is brown a 1970s color?

My area rug doesn't have a 1970s vibe, right?

I don't want to have a 1970s vibe at our new house...

WhoMe

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Your rug does not have a 1970s vibe. Big Grin It's more of a Frank Lloyd Wright meets Mondrian vibe. I think it will work very well in the new house with the oak trim and the style of the cabinets that are there.

In looking for style ideas for any parts of the house, I'd be using the keywords "shaker" "Mission" "prairie" "craftsman" and "Frank Lloyd Wright" . I think you may find things in any of those categories that will work in your house.

Funny you think of the vertical baluster wall as contemporary. I think of it as FLW. Wright used a vertical trellis like that as a divider between rooms in some of his houses, and is why I thought those a wood baluster wall could work on the basement stairs. If you like that look of course. It might not be your thing.

Architect Sarah Susanka's books might also give you some design ideas. Your house has some elements of her "Not So Big" philosophy and design style. Lots of wood with some interesting architectural elements that you don't see everywhere.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I love a good FLW vibe Smiler

We’ll see what we can do with the interior pieces we choose.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Late to the party...

Will you need to move anything up or down those stairs? Any rail on the open side will have an impact on that!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ron, not really because that’s a walkout basement and there’s an outside door right there, and on the other side of the stairs there’s a workshop with an overhead door.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Do consider the ability to remove and replace it to accommodate large pieces going down there. Your stairway goes almost to the outside wall there. Doesn’t leave much room to maneuver.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
As SK mentioned, there's an outside door right there that leads to the back yard. And there's an overhead garage door on the other side of the stairs that also leads from the back yard into a storage/workshop area on that lower level. Way easier to get stuff in either of those ways rather than down the stairs.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think it should be ok, but I'll look at it again.

Also, at the bottom of the stairs, I think it's more roomy than it looks in the photos.

The other thing is that the top of the stairs is closed (there's a wall for a few steps) so that kind of adds a space restriction in any case.