well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Installing railing along the stairs
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Installing railing along the stairs
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
BTW, I have two contractors lined up to come and give me a quote on doing the stairs, so hopefully we can actually get them done before we move in.

Assuming we can pick the railing style in a timely fashion... WhoMe

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think rontuner and Mik are thinking about what happens if there's a floor to ceiling slat wall, or a regular wall, enclosing the stairs. It's not the width of the stairway as much as it is making the turn at the bottom of the stairs that becomes an issue. Like if you were bringing a sectional in. If you have a regular height railing on the stairs, you might be able to lift it over it to make the turn, but that wouldn't be possible with a wall of some sort.

But with that exterior door that goes into the basement space, it makes way more sense to go around the house to the back and get in that way.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ahh, thanks for the clarification!

I don't think we'll do anything floor to ceiling and as cool as those photos are, no wall slats. It's too fancy and too far outside of my experience. Also we would need to spend a lot more time thinking about the design elements before choosing. So I'd be worried about choosing the wrong thing or something that would look dated relatively quickly.

We're going to prioritize simple, classic, timeless (hopefully!), and also speed, because we would love to get this finished before we move in.

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Speaking of speed, the roof was installed yesterday.

Yes

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Late to this, but definitely get a railing.

My ex-wife’s house had a similar situation on the basement stairs. One of my daughters tumbled over the side and broke her wrist.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of my daughters tumbled over the side and broke her wrist.

Frowner

We're committed to this. It's not worth the risk.

I already have contractors scheduled to come out and give us some quotes. Hopefully we can make it happen before we move in.

By the way, I should stress how grateful I am to everyone here, I sort of thought this lack of railing wasn't great (and the inspector flagged it so I knew it wasn't to code) but I didn't really connect with it until people here brought it (and Big Al's story really sealed the deal for me!)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Another possibility, a half wall (ignore that "Before" label):

Fewer choices to make re design. Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Interesting! That’s quite nice — whatever I was imagining wasn’t this!

That last one might work. The guy who suggested a wall instead of railing is coming for a quote next week (we’re getting a quote from him for something else as well) so this is super helpful bc I can show him this photo.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We had a version of that second photo in our vacation house, except that we just had a stained oak cap as a handrail and finished wall on that vertical part. I kind of like that waterfall effect of running the cap down the front of that wall.

I probably have a photo here somewhere of that part of the house, but not sure where it is...if I find it, I'll post it...

edit: Couldn't find the pic of our old house, but this is what I was talking about:

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG thanks for this newest photo, it’s really helpful. Mr SK is interested in considering this possibility as well.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I know nothing of design or construction.

But I do know something about cleaning. I loathe vacuuming stairs. And carpet on stairs is always going to take a beating and can even get slippery if it is worn.

When we moved in, we removed the carpet from the stairs, and there was hardwood there. Recently, we put some clear grippy strips on them to make sure no one slipped. Now, we sweep the dirt to the bottom rather than vacuum.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cindy!

We'll try to peak under the carpet and see what's there.