well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
I'd love to get my hands on that CD! Is it something that can be copied? I'd be happy to pay costs...

Or trade the above "lightly used" upright... Big Grin

--------------------------------
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zorba:
I'd love to get my hands on that CD! Is it something that can be copied? I'd be happy to pay costs...

Or trade the above "lightly used" upright... Big Grin

I'm not sure how copyright issues would work. I compiled the disc myself, which is perfectly okay for my own use, but if I distribute further, it might be inappropriate (because some of the images may be copyrighted and while they were freely given to me for my use, they were not explicitly given for further distribution), though I think that's not too likely to get me in hot water, you never know. If I post any I think are questionable, I'll likely link to the original site. If you could spit and polish that slightly used upright just a little, I might overlook those ethical issues. Big Grin

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
rick, when were you at faust-harrison's?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21538 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
Editing self as too long and off topic for the thread.

Edited version: about 3 years ago.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Isn't this a pretty music desk?

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7602 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
A very pretty music desk! Cool!

This is a "Marco-Polo" by Fazioli:

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
1902 Broadwood at the V&A Museum, London.

Fugly if you ask me...

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
Now THIS, on the other hand, is "Phat"!

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Isn't this a pretty music desk?

Yes. I like that very much.

Revenant
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Frycek
posted Hide Post
I like the "Phat" one. It reminds me of a very dignified and ornate toad, a positive burgermeister of toads.

Posts: 6034 | Location: SC Mountains | Registered: 24 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
1902 Broadwood at the V&A Museum, London.

Fugly if you ask me...

That's 1902? It has such an art deco look. I would have pegged it as much later. A designer ahead of his time?

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13887 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Investment-grade Member
Picture of Ill-Tempered Forum
posted Hide Post
quote:
A very pretty music desk! Cool!

This is a "Marco-Polo" by Fazioli:

Hmmm... it just occured to me that you could have put "Pearl River" on it and it would still be as fitting. Blink

Respect my authorata!

Posts: 512 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Er, um, so is someone going to tell the rest of us whose grave that is back on page 37? Or am I the only one who doesn't know? Eeker

BTW, I absolutely love this thread!!! I sometimes go back and look at the earlier pages and dream. Pianos are such amazing things!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18859 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frycek:
I like the "Phat" one. It reminds me of a very dignified and ornate toad, a positive burgermeister of toads.

That is such an apt description of that one! Big Grin

Shiro, that grave is Kimball's, one of the largest volume makers in American history. Owned or still owns Boesendorfer as a division of a large conglomerate now, but the company is into cabinets and furniture more these days than in pianos. Many of their pianos of their later years were regarded as mediocre (when everyone in the U.S. was, at best, also mediocre--a period that saw the demise of many of the last survivors of thousands of American makers that had gone out of business decades earlier during "The Great Depression". Few remember their early Kimball production included some really decent pianos between 1890 and 1915. (I still have one among my group from 1896. Everyone who has ever played it has said, "What a gorgeous tone!" I've been offered very interesting trades for it, but I have no interest in parting with it, even while several others have come and gone.) It's because Kimball produced such a manufacturing empire on the back of the piano production that I said I could understand the extravagance of that gravesite. Anyone can argue about the success of their designs, but few would argue about the success of the company. They delivered decent pianos for the home and schools quite consistently, even if their best might never be ranked in that Tier One category. Nothing wrong with that business model. And nothing wrong with enjoying an old Kimball. Some truly justified it.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We have a Kimball 9' here at the school that sits in a piano lab. The poor girl had an unfortunate "rewhatever" that wasn't ever finished before it was donated. I keep it going, but haven't ever been interested in re-doing the re-do. I've been mostly replacing jacks as they break in addition to tuning.

Most of the Kimballs I see are of this variety:

Though I've seen a few of these:

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7602 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post