well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    The WTF Losers
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 53
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The WTF Losers
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Ok, up to 95.5# after last night's dinner. (Vegetarian Chili, chile cheese cornbread, salad, and chocolate lava cakes. Plus a couple of glasses of red wine) Boy, was it good. Especially the lava cakes. Back on the wagon now.

Smiler Jodi

Jodi, you have a LOT of good ideas about weight loss, admirable self-discipline and more. But frankly, weighing every day seems like it might lead to far more problems than it solves. Weight varies so much according to salt content, water retention and when one last had, um (quoting Dave Barry) "an Act of Congress".

Daily weighing would for me anyhow. Perhaps I demoralize more easily. Things have been moving so slowly, I've only been weighing at most once a month, though I may step it up. Monday morning NOOD. This week, as an exception, I will wait until Tuesday (if at all) so as to leave that as an incentive when the Trickertreaters come by.

BTW do I remember right that you won a Ms. Fitness contest or something a few years ago? Must have been shortly after I found PW, but ever since I have been picturing a super slim jodi with a six pack, and indomitable energy flexing in a bikini while flashbulbs went off! Smiler

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
Regarding daily weigh-ins - There have been several articles lately from different sources, that advocate doing just that. They say it helps people get it off and keep it off. Naturally, there are going to be days when you don't lose or are up a little due to water, hormones, etc., but it keeps you from kidding yourself and letting things start going the wrong direction. I don't weigh daily, but I am the first to admit that if I haven't been on for awhile it is like jumping into a cold lake. Scary, but not so if you are doing it regularly.

Posts: 8032 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I've also read recently that daily weigh-ins are a good thing. I weigh myself each morning after using the "facilities" right before hopping in the shower. I expected to be up a tad after last night, which is fine. I'm also writing the weight down every day, keeping a graph.

Yes, I did a 10 week Ultimate Body Shaping class at the local Karate studio. Tomk (I think it was him) photshopped my head onto some woman weightlifter in a turquoise bikini's fake-o tanned body. That's probably the picture Amanda remembers. It was pretty funny. I lost the most weight, and gained the most muscle inches of anybody in the class, and I won the $100 prize, and a trophy. I really did gain a ton of muscle - I weighed about 155, but was able to fit into the clothing I was wearing when I got married, which was about 145. 145 is what I'm aiming for now - without quite the muscle mass I had before. All that slamming around was too hard on my body!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Ha! So that was it, jodi.

Well, you guys may manage with daily weigh-ins, but I'm going to go with fewer. My weight varies so greatly, especially with the edema that med was causing. (and which I'm still battling)

It's all a matter of what works for you personally, right? "Know thyself" applies to nothing more than it does to personal health management (of which weight is but a subset - keep trying to stress that relationship to myself.)

Anybody else worry about excess skin? Face AND body. I always remember some mid-life beauty advising, "after forty you have to decide between your face and your body". Certainly the ideal is to be super slim as a lass, and then gradually put on a bit of weight. Better than a face lift. Reversing the order can be risky.

When you're not an elastic young thing, skin doesn't spring back the same. I try to always annoint my body after the morning shower. Makes for a nuisance because I have to wait until it dries before dressing, but I hope it will help keep the skin more flexible. I have some really good stuff. Have done this for decades.

This is yet another reason to keep the weight loss gradual.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of kathyk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
Haven't checked in here for awhile...I have been too busy concentrating on my new job.

I have been careful about not munching at my desk, getting up frequently away from the computer. It helps that my office is a flight of stairs away from the main goings on...

Was totally shocked this morning when I got on the scale....89#!!!! Big Grin

I am a muncher when I am bored. Guess business has been the best diet for me. But I have to say, that in no way makes me fit. The flip side is that my 3-4 time weekly multi mile walks are a thing of the past (as is piano practice) Roll Eyes

Still learning to balance it all.....

Katie, your personal trainer is something I covet. How did you find someone you like? I am considering it not just for weight loss but for building up muscle strength to support my failing joints.

PS, will miss you at TNCR and in person. Wink

Kerri, I wanted to mention that you looked great when I saw you Saturday! I never viewed you as being in need of losing weight, but having seen this post and you around the same time, it just clicked [ding ding!] that you looked exceptionally fit. ThumbsUp

Posts: 11691 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
Amanda, you should definitely do what works for you.

Posts: 8032 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
94# this morning. Went up to a neighbors last night for dinner before trick-or-treating, managed to bipass the pizza and bread sticks, and eat two small servings of homemade soup - one squash, one borsch (is that how you spell it?) - and a very small pieces of fresh baked whole grain bread. Was it ever good. All these lovely things to drink, and I had water. Most importantly, not a single piece of chocolate. This weekend, we're going to a football game after my art class, and then to my mom's for dinner, and breakfast, which is almost always caloric. So I have to be extra careful this week.

Smiler Jodi

Chatterbox
Picture of newpianoplayer
posted Hide Post
Got any chocolate milk in the cupboard

Relax With a Hot Chocolate Milk Bath

Here's a great way to put that cocoa in your cupboard to good use now that you're eating right — mix up a luscious hot chocolate milk bath! It's easy. Here's what you'll need:
1 cup dried milk
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup baking powder
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cream of tarter
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
Thoroughly combine all ingredients and store in a clean, dry container until you're ready for your chocolate pampering.
When the mood strikes, make the bath solution by heating 3 tablespoons of the mix with 1/2 cup of water and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Bring to a boil. Add the hot mixture to bathwater while the tub is filling. You'll emerge from the tub silky smooth — and without any regrets! Mmmmm. Isn't that delicious?

Posts: 475 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Still 94#. Which is good, that means it wasn't a glitch in the scale. Smiler

I'm discovering that I can actually eat stir-fry with almost NO rice, (like maybe a tablespoon) and it still tastes good.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Oh, and today, I managed to get the zipper zipped on my 32-34's. Ok, so I can't feel my feet when I sit down, but hey, I'm walking around in them!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kathyk:
Kerri, I wanted to mention that you looked great when I saw you Saturday! I never viewed you as being in need of losing weight, but having seen this post and you around the same time, it just clicked [ding ding!] that you looked exceptionally fit. ThumbsUp

I'll take all the complements I can get! Big Grin Thanks, Kathy! Did you notice Mr. BeeLady? He makes be crazy!!! VeryAngry He is 6'5" and yet weighs just 170lbs! (and he has gained weight since we married 18 years ago!) There was a time when we weighed the same! Frowner

I was just thinking today that I haven't been a regular at Yoga in 2 years...ugh...

Now that I am at a certain age, slim is not enough. I have noticed a marked decrease in my upper body strength and my joints ache more than usual. My thinking is that muscle building is what I need to stay on top of things....Weight, I expect will become less of an issue, more size and fitness...Sigh...

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Well, I sorta took the day off yesterday. Stopped by Krispy Kreme on the way down to my art class (had the kids in the car, and we always stop there) and I just had to have one of the hot off the conveyor belt donuts. But I didn't eat any of the dozen we bought. Someone brought this incredible cake thing to class, so I course I ate a piece of it. Eeker I was good at lunch, soda water, cup of soup, with a bit of bread. But had to have hot cocoa and half a pretzel at the game. (It was FREEZING, and the game didn't get over til 6:30pm, and I was starving) Then went back to my moms and pigged out. Cheese, bread, sandwiches, beer, wine, some sort of coffee cake, little chocolates, yikes.

Back on the wagon today, though. Mom noticed that I'd lost weight, so did the friends we went to the foot ball game with. I'm not getting on the scale til tomorrow morning.

Smiler Jodi

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Back on the wagon today, though. Mom noticed that I'd lost weight, so did the friends we went to the foot ball game with. I'm not getting on the scale til tomorrow morning.

Smiler Jodi

Huh! I've lost 10 pounds and no one has noticed! Not even MR. BEELADY! VeryAngry

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by katie:

Message to Jodi ... I found my kid's Halloween Stash hidden in the basement ... had a little "feed" yesterday. Now I think I'm constipated b/c of it (geez Roll Eyes ). At least it was a "little" feed though. It could've been much, much worse ...

Smiler
Katie
?? 89#

It helped though, didn't it, that the kids were keeping track? ("Mom, are you SURE nothing happened to the Reeses? I could have sworn I had more!!") WhoMe

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

Huh! I've lost 10 pounds and no one has noticed! Not even MR. BEELADY! VeryAngry

ESPECIALLY Mr Beelady, I'd say. When something happens very gradually in front of someone's eyes it's hard to tell.

When someone hasn't seen you in a while, it's different.

Besides, he's very slender. Thin people especially if it's metabolic, can be SO oblivious. Bang Head

Personally, I prefer it if weight loss isn;t noticed per se. I'd rather hear, "hey, you look great! Love your hair!" (heard just this once after a LARGE drop in avoir-du-poid. Hair style completely unaltered)