well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    Music - What are you listening to right now?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Music - What are you listening to right now?
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post

WhoMe

Just waiting for teachum to see this one!

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
Picture of Nunatax
posted Hide Post

Posts: 973 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post

Andrew Bird & The Mysterious Production of Eggs

To call Bird's music daring and inventive would be a tragic understatement. This album is full of paradoxically catchy melodies underscored by highly unusual orchestrations. Bird is also a virtuoso whistler, believe it or not.

Sample track: A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Very interesting Matt.

I like the sample track.

Is the rest of the album as unique?

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. Looks like you can get a free listen to the whole album here:

http://www.righteousbabe.com/artists/andrewbird/tmpoe/index.asp

jf

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of kathyk
posted Hide Post
Mark, you don't by any chance like Pink Floyd, do you?

Posts: 11691 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
uh huh. Why, YES! I do like Pink Floyd! Cool

Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post

I have seen the trio live three times.

Steve Morse was the warmup act one night.

He joined Al, John and Paco on stage for the encores.

Amazing.

Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
Mark, you continually amaze me. For someone who thinks "rock sucks" you sure like a lot of it. Big Grin

I like Pink Floyd too.

Back to running the woodsplitter! Winter is coming!

Posts: 8032 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Man am I disappointed!

teachum, you did not even notice my previous listen.

Razzer

Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Oh and by the way, I believe I said "pop sucks".

Most of rock sucks too. I do like a certain amount. Maybe somewhere on the order of 1.786% - 2.374% of it.

Razzer

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post

Without question my favorite "clasical" music...heresay perhaps in this piano world. Nothing comes close except perhaps Jimi Hendrix.

jf

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
Picture of Nunatax
posted Hide Post

Luka Bloom, amazing guy. Saw him live once, he entertained a whole crowd on his own.

Posts: 973 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:

Without question my favorite "clasical" music...heresay perhaps in this piano world. Nothing comes close except perhaps Jimi Hendrix.

jf

Jack - the Chaconne from the 2nd violin partita is on my short list for the best music ever written.

Fortunately it has been transcribed for piano. I play the Brahms transcription for the left hand alone, better known is a Busoni transcription.

But, keeping the piano at bay for a bit, here are two CDs I strongly recommend to you:

First - Paul Galbraith plays the Sonatas and Partitas transcibed for guitar. But not just any guitar, a special 8-string guitar specifically designed by him to have the range necessary for this and other baroque pieces.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000009SDY/qid%3.../102-8073842-8237726

Second: The Hilliard Ensemble - they have an arrangement of the Chaconne for violin and voice. Beautiful and haunting. Listen to the sample from track 21:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005ND3...al&vi=samples#disc_1

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jon, we have the latter and love it. I will check out the former.

jf