well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Apple has moved on.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple has moved on.
 Login/Join

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
God bless you Tom. She'll enjoy being in your heart.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
RIP, apple.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Wonderful post Tom. And wonderful to see you.

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
It has been my honor and pleasure to know Apple, and my delight and privilege to have met her at piano/forum parties and visited her in Kansas.

In memory of Apple:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehpccoQRvoU

Lyrics [translation] :

Requiem æternam dona eis [ Eternal rest grant unto them ]

lux perpetua luceat eis [ let perpetual light shine upon them ]
beloved mom, friend, and teacher, and wife and sister too
õun taevasse ülendatud [ apple ascended ]
Amamus te; requiescas in pace [we love you; rest in peace]

PDF manuscript: http://www.coffee-room.com/Ama...quiescas-In-Pace.pdf

(Acknowledgement:
First two lines Latin Requiem text from Wikipedia
Fourth line Estonian text translation by Google
Last line Latin translation by the Muffin Clan and ivorythumper
Last melodic phrase a quotation from one of Apple's favorite: Psy's GangNam Style)

Wow, Ax. I wonder if we could get a group together to perform this virtually somehow. I could learn the alto part, though I would probably need some coaching with Estonian pronunciation. Anybody else interested?

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I could probably do the soprano part, or could double with you on alto. I'm not very conversant in recording, but Muffin can probably help. She might also want to sing, her range is similar to mine--the alto is within it and the soprano probably is.

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your "virtual choir" suggestion, rustyfinger; and thank you for volunteering to sing your parts, rustyfinger and Mary Anna.

There would likely be lots of nuts-and-bolts issues to discuss to actually pull this off, so as not to distract this thread from being a remembrance/tribute to Apple, I have started a separate thread specifically to organize the aforementioned "virtual choir": http://well-temperedforum.grou...0004433/m/5271095546

I invite all interested party to discuss the "virtual choir" planning there, and let this thread remain a tribute/remembrance thread for our Apple/Mary.

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
Hi

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
+1 on the college fund, because all I've been able to think since chemo failed was 'her poor kids'.

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqaboo:
+1 on the college fund, because all I've been able to think since chemo failed was 'her poor kids'.

Same here. I've been thinking about her kids a lot. I don't really know how old they are, but if they're teenagers it's going to be hard.

I lost my mom to cancer when she was only 40 years old, I was 16. And while we weren't poor, it was a struggle for my dad to try and provide tuition for two kids, while making two mortgage payments (he and my mom bought a duplex before she got sick to house both their mothers). I worked and had to really scrape to pay for school. I'd be interested in making a contribution to that.

Posts: 5151 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 02 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Check this thread for college fund donation information. It's getting lost down the list....

Posts: 35380 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would-be Sage
Picture of Jamie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I never met Mary. I never knew her at all really, but through the magic of the internet I feel as though she was my neighbor and my friend. She shared so much with me - her love of music, her love of art, her love for her family and her extraordinary life history. She shared that with all of us.

Plain and simple, mostly. Unvarnished. The simple joy of a life lived to the fullest - of a life shared with so many others. She spoke eloquently of simple tasks - mowing, cooking, gardening, keeping house, playing music at church. Raising kids, dogs, driving, painting and building. Mostly though, she spoke of people and the joy she found in knowing them, working with them, teaching them, helping them, and each time she did I would resolve to do a better job of each of those things as I conduct my own life.

I never met Mary. Despite that fact she had a profound effect on my life as I daresay she has had on many others. I grieve for those close to her and the pain they must feel on her passing. I grieve for Kim, her children and the people whose lives she touched every day. Hers was a special gift and I pray that the passage of time brings them some solace.

She will be missed.

Trying to express how I feel about this, and Steve's words just about sum it up for me. To be physically so far removed for some of us, but feel so near to her on these forums, and she made that seem so easy, is her legacy for us all. That, and her obvious love of her kids, music art and life.

Peace, Mary, and may I someday have the priviledge of meeting you in the great beyond, and swap church chior stories.

Jamie

Posts: 648 | Location: NL, Canada | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Well said Jamie AND (of course) Steve.

And let us not forget that each and every member is irreplaceable.

I guess this forum (and our companion) aren't forever, but as long as we contribute and support each other's contributions - and selves - we can make an already good run, last longer.

Friendships are worth preserving, be they tangible or virtual.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of josh
posted Hide Post
A tremendous loss.

I keep thinking about her generosity when I was in a bind. I suddenly had a tenant for my condo, but had no lease document to use. Within ten minutes, she swooped in and imparted years of wisdom and best practices learned from their own rental business. I learned a lot from her about the care and feeding of good, long-term tenants. And she scanned and emailed me a couple of leases they used. I used the lease, and her strategies, and the tenant is happy as a clam two and a half years later.

She did not hesitate to help. It meant sharing her hard-won expertise, sending me a document that was private, and taking time out to do it.

It may not be a huge thing, but it was huge to me. It helped take a big load off my shoulders.

I know that she lived her life extending kindnesses just like this, whether it was with food or music or a clever, perfectly targeted turn of phrase. Mine may seem almost too small to remember her by, but a life full of these gifts adds up to quite a legacy.

Posts: 2519 | Registered: 21 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
That sounds like her, Josh!

My favorite memory is when, after the Carnegie Hall concert, our group was headed a few blocks away for a nightcap, but I was rather stuck since I had sprained my ankle just a few days before. A few friends stayed with me while we watched on a corner for a taxi. Apple actually went out and up the street trying to wave one down. So sweet! That is my 'live' memory of her, out there standing in the street... 'for me'! Razzer

Here are some more condolences from her HS friends even...did you know that she was a cheerleader? http://www.legacy.com/guestboo...vermer&pid=162307468

Plant/roses on Mary's FB page, from PW friends, Frank must have sent them for us.

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
[ deleting a dumb post ]

jf

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post