well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 39

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
If you are going to hire a lawn service, most of them will do your snow too. No problem!

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Firewood chopping is surprisingly satisfying, as is hand shoveling snow off your driveway, which is why we often hand shovel instead of snowblow. Snow-wise, we recently upped our shovel game with one of these, which is actually a blast to use as long as the snow is on the fluffy side and not that heavy wet sloppy crap! - https://wovel.com/ See it in action here: https://youtu.be/ky6emJPFIWo

2.5 acres of woods should get you a good amount of wood, but if you are a serious burner, you will run out of pickings from your own woods faster than you'd think. However, fear not, because you can have local tree removal companies bring you a trailer-load of logs for much cheaper than it costs to buy split firewood. I have a couple friends who get a trailer bed of logs delivered every summer for maybe $400 and spend every weekend sawing and splitting, and end up with like 10-12 cords of firewood out of it. Of course, you will need an area to do this, as it makes a mess. I'm sure you'd find a spot though! And it's kind of cool that you'd be using your dad's axe and maul -- I like the poetry of it!

Sounds like a WTF consensus - this is the house for you!

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://wovel.com/

Whoah!That's cool!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I have a long text in to my son in law who is all about snow.

The video is cool - is there a heater in that bad boy?

No heater in mine, but you can get one. They also have a much more expensive solid cab. Mine is like a tent. A very heavy duty tent. I wouldn't snow blow without at least this fabric cab. This Tractor doubles as my lawn mower. My driveway is 1/10 mile long with two parking areas and a 45 foot, sidewalk leading to the front door. I get the job done in under an hour so heat is really not an issue. I just put on my snowmobile bibs, and nice wither coat, gloves and hat. The Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones are a necessary accessory. I can listen to the softest passages in classical music with a 25HP Twin Cylinder Kawasaki motor blaring three feet in front of me.

Deere usually runs zero percent financing deals on these during the fall. When I heard about that, I loaded the sucker up, except I didn't splurge on the hard sided cab and heater.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
If you are going to hire a lawn service, most of them will do your snow too. No problem!

Makes sense! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I have a long text in to my son in law who is all about snow.

The video is cool - is there a heater in that bad boy?

No heater in mine, but you can get one. They also have a much more expensive solid cab. Mine is like a tent. A very heavy duty tent. I wouldn't snow blow without at least this fabric cab. This Tractor doubles as my lawn mower. My driveway is 1/10 mile long with two parking areas and a 45 foot, sidewalk leading to the front door. I get the job done in under an hour so heat is really not an issue. I just put on my snowmobile bibs, and nice wither coat, gloves and hat. The Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones are a necessary accessory. I can listen to the softest passages in classical music with a 25HP Twin Cylinder Kawasaki motor blaring three feet in front of me.

Deere usually runs zero percent financing deals on these during the fall. When I heard about that, I loaded the sucker up, except I didn't splurge on the hard sided cab and heater.

Exactly what I need to know.

Thanks!

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Also, I mow 2 acres with hills in about 60-90 minutes depending on, if I decide to bag the clippings.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And as an added bonus, you could get a cart to attach to the tractor to bring your fallen trees out of the woods and over to the house to turn into firewood!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Did you order your tractor yet?

Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Also, Zillow now seems to think I'm planning to move to Vermilion OH.... Ole

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Here's a video of one actually blowing snow.

It has the hard shell cab on it. It's also the X728. I have the X739 All Wheel Drive, All Wheel Steering version.

They both have power steering.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
Here's a video of one actually blowing snow.
I'm surprised by how quiet it is and by how slowly the (not sure of name) "spiral shaped part" turns.

Thanks!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
"spiral shaped part"

The word you're looking for is "auger"....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Here is a video of Dean Road that my daughter took today. She says the road gets much better as you head north from the house.

(She also swears at about 1:28)

Dean Road

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It says it's a private video and you have to log in to YT to verify whether you can see it.

You can pretty much "drive" down the road if you use Google Maps, the link I posted previously. Just click on the road and it moves you forward. You can drag and rotate to change the direction you are facing.

You can stop on the one lane bridge and look around, too.

You'll have to fill in the swearing on your own....

https://www.google.com/maps/@4...w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Bazootiehead-in-training