well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 39

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We’ve lived in several 1600 SF houses and none of them seemed particularly cramped for two people. My parents raised 4 kids in one.

When we lived in the glass house several of our neighbors made giant insulated Roman shades to help control the temp, especially at night. Thaose could work as it’s really just the one wall.

I’d have to see it but I think the kitchen could be salvaged by adding a big island.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Hey I'd like to start reading this thread, but man I can't read 28 pages of posts. How far back do I need to go to kind of get in sync with the conversation?

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Steve, you need to take another trip!!

Dan... ummm.... start in the middle??? suave

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Baby steps, man. You have to train for it. Cool

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have a gut feeling about the latest house. Was it a long ago summer cottage convert?

I would want to see beneath...with no basement, what is there? Could also be an area that might need some insulation.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
I have a gut feeling about the latest house. Was it a long ago summer cottage convert?

I would want to see beneath...with no basement, what is there? Could also be an area that might need some insulation.

It looks to be a crawl space, judging by how far off of the ground it is. If the insulation is original it will definitely need upgrading.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Wonder if the crawl is just gravel, or if there's a poured concrete floor....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
Hey I'd like to start reading this thread, but man I can't read 28 pages of posts. How far back do I need to go to kind of get in sync with the conversation?

I recommend starting on page 1....lots of fun and good info to boot!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Wonder if the crawl is just gravel, or if there's a poured concrete floor....

Don’t know. Here they are always just bare dirt.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Up in Door County homes with crawls came one of three ways: gravel, gravel with Visqueen as a moisture barrier, or poured concrete.

We had a friend who had a prefab house built in the 70s. Crawl was just gravel and really, really damp. She put Visqueen over the gravel and it helped the humidity.

Based on her experience, we had them pour a concrete floor when we built our house. Didn't add that much cost at the time and helped a lot with moisture control.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Long shot in a nice location:

https://www.realtor.com/reales...H_44089_M49222-30483

No basement and that might be a plus - no floods, no sump pump.

I missed this first time around. Unfortunately it’s not accurate. A crawl may need a sump and it can flood.

As the saying goes, don’t ask me how I know this.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
6640 Amber Drive.

Sharon likes this one a lot. Nothing to add but a fence. Sensible size, 2019 construction.

2 laundry rooms, no waiting. Cool

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I like that one a lot! And no, you won't have to any thing to move in.

Are you ok with the houses being so close together? How is the set up where you live now? I'm thinking that someone coming from a townhouse would be fine, but someone coming from a house on a bigger plot might not like that?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I like the Amber Drive house a lot. You could move in tomorrow! No fencing between back yards; are you allowed to walk along the edge of the woods through all the yards?

The window/sliding door house: I don’t think I’d want sliders on the front of my house. They don’t feel secure.

And both of them: Do people in the midwest not believe in window coverings? Are y’all up in each others’ business, 24/7?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
That house gets the nope from me for being way way WAY too close to the neighbors. No way I like random people enough to want to live that close to anyone.

I love how they very carefully took the photos to emphasize the beautiful wooded backyard and ignore the fact that you will be on stage in front of like 20 other houses any time you are out there.

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post