well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 39

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Square footage can’t be right.

Zillow says it’s 2,634 sqft (realtor dot com has it a 5268). Prolly Zillow is right here.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Also, this is another listing with bad photos...

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
Square footage can’t be right.

Zillow says it’s 2,634 sqft (realtor dot com has it a 5268). Prolly Zillow is right here.

I just read the description for the listing. The house is 2600 square feet, plus the basement is under the whole house for another 2600....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I kinda like the warblers lane house. It is a bit boring, but not overly so. The kitchen is definitely weird - I don't mind the layout, but the soaring ceilings and weird ledge above the pantry is just odd. There's also some weird niches in the bedroom walls for all your fine art statues. :-)

I suspect that oddball i beam is extra support under one of the garages. My guess is that smaller single car garage next to the 2 car one in the house probably wasn't designed to be a garage (probably an office space or something) and that is the extra beam that supports the weight of a parked car. In my parents neighborhood, there are people who turned a first floor room into a garage just like that but they did not add the extra support and it did not end well (their car ended up in the basement when the floor caved in.)

ETA - actually, I have no idea. I can't figure out how i-beam plaement like that would line up with one of the garages. Maybe the 2 car garage was only supposed to be a one car and that is the extra from where they widened it into 2. But either way you'd think they'd need the beam across what was supposed to be the garage too. So now I'm curious! It definitely looks like it was retrofitted to support something and not part of the original design of the house...but maybe not, since the post definitely looks sunk into the floor and the beam looks sunk into the wall. Maybe they have a huge waterbed or giant concert piano that they added support for when building the house? I'm completely confused. Big Grin

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
their car ended up in the basement when the floor caved in

HairRaising

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I actually really like the one WTG found too. It seems oddly close to the neighbors for a "woodsy house" and I'm not sure if I like that or not -- on the one hand, less upkeep and close neighbors to keep an eye on things, but on the other hand, it's like Dean Rd decided to plop itself on a postage stamp sized lot and move to a development. I don't see that many direly needed updates compared to other houses you've posted (there's no pink carpet!). The lot seems a little small, but I guess if you are also looking in developments, you've come to terms with that. Man, people in Cleveland really like their brick textured basement walls and skip trowel ceilings, don't they???? (Not to mention the weird wall words and word statues and wallpaper border.)

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The house on Elizabeth Lane has sold.

I think we'll look at the one on Westchester that WTG found.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Was that the "good but boring" one?

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Also
quote:
the one on Westchester

which one was that? (too many to keep track of now!)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also
quote:
the one on Westchester

House on Westchester

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Was that the "good but boring" one?

One of two "good but boring" ones.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
It seems oddly close to the neighbors for a "woodsy house" and I'm not sure if I like that or not -- on the one hand, less upkeep and close neighbors to keep an eye on things, but on the other hand, it's like Dean Rd decided to plop itself on a postage stamp sized lot and move to a development.

That lot is one of the things I like most about the house. Woodsy but manageable.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
At that price, not surprised Elizabeth Lane has sold.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Also
quote:
the one on Westchester

House on Westchester

Ah yes, good house, bad photos!

I can't wait to hear your impressions of in-person visits!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Westchester house is pretty dated and will need some work. Am guessing you could negotiate the price down, as it's full of carpeting and short on the wood floors which seem to be all the rage these days.

If you do the Google drive, the neighborhood seems to be pretty nice.

Carpet in bathroom will need to be deep sixed...ewwww..... I love the step stool next to that one tub. Who can get in/out of those things, anyway?

I also wonder how that hood over the island will look IRL.

Lots of skylights, so need to check for leaks. Wonder how old the roof is.

Listing says there are Andersen windows, house was built in 1987. We replaced our 1960s Andersen windows in the late 80s with then-new Andersens. Also used them in Door County. We had problems in both houses with negative pressure in the sealed window units. The windows can just shatter in some cases because of the problem. We never had any break and had them repaired under warranty.

Here's a description of the problem..

I think it might be a nice house, but with the bad photos and lack of flow in how they're presented, it's a bit hard to say without seeing it.

Bazootiehead-in-training