well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What are you reading?
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading?
 Login/Join

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
And today I read the entirety of The Boys: A Novel by Katie Hafner, while on a nonstop from Portland to JFK. It was perfect. Now I have to go back and figure out where that twist started…

“Journalist Hafner’s marvelous fiction debut centers on a socially awkward man’s neuroses about fatherhood. While working as the chief technology officer at a startup in Philadelphia, Ethan meets Barb, a University of Pennsylvania grad student, and the two start dating. They soon marry, though Ethan suspects he’s scored out of his league. Having lost his parents at an early age, he also fears becoming a father, but Barb changes his mind, only for them to discover after a year of trying to conceive that Ethan is sterile. They decide to foster two young boys, but when the Covid-19 pandemic hits and Ethan develops an overbearing attachment to them, his relationship with Barb disintegrates. She leaves him and he takes the boys on a bike trip to Italy, where a jaw-dropping twist ensues. Starting out as a lighthearted romance before taking an unsettling turn, this upsets expectations in the best way. The heartbreaking late reveal will take a second reading to fully sink in and pushes the troubled marriage genre to dizzying extremes. It’s a remarkable outing, and readers will look forward to seeing what Hafner does next. “
Publisher’s Weekly

Piano related content: the protagonist has perfect pitch! Second piano related content: Katie Hafner was my roommate at Sonata Piano Camp, way back in the early 2000’s.

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
Chronicles of a Cairo Bookseller, by Nadia Waseff

Described as 'Blunt, honest, funny' it is certainly interesting.

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 385 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The Final Outcome

Evidence and Analysis in the Meredith Kercher Murder Case

James Raper

I bought it on Amazon. It happens to be the best book on the case.

I can finally say I'm reading a book other than Emily Dickinson's poems for the fourth time. suave

It's slow going because the phone screen makes my eyes hurt (print would just as much), and because concentrating is difficult. We used to read fifty pages per week per class in college.

That was a lifetime ago. Smiler

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
“Barnstorming “Ohio”. It’s about what the author calls “5 Ohios” and how the regional differences affect state politics.

The chapter on Jim Trafficant is fascinating. Not only did he act a lot like TFG, he looked like him too - right down to the hair.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Niall Furguson’s Empire, a history of the British Empire.

Fascinating. I always like his writing.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
And today I read the entirety of The Boys: A Novel by Katie Hafner, while on a nonstop from Portland to JFK. It was perfect. Now I have to go back and figure out where that twist started…

“Journalist Hafner’s marvelous fiction debut centers on a socially awkward man’s neuroses about fatherhood. While working as the chief technology officer at a startup in Philadelphia, Ethan meets Barb, a University of Pennsylvania grad student, and the two start dating. They soon marry, though Ethan suspects he’s scored out of his league. Having lost his parents at an early age, he also fears becoming a father, but Barb changes his mind, only for them to discover after a year of trying to conceive that Ethan is sterile. They decide to foster two young boys, but when the Covid-19 pandemic hits and Ethan develops an overbearing attachment to them, his relationship with Barb disintegrates. She leaves him and he takes the boys on a bike trip to Italy, where a jaw-dropping twist ensues. Starting out as a lighthearted romance before taking an unsettling turn, this upsets expectations in the best way. The heartbreaking late reveal will take a second reading to fully sink in and pushes the troubled marriage genre to dizzying extremes. It’s a remarkable outing, and readers will look forward to seeing what Hafner does next. “
Publisher’s Weekly

Piano related content: the protagonist has perfect pitch! Second piano related content: Katie Hafner was my roommate at Sonata Piano Camp, way back in the early 2000’s.

Piano related content the third: I’m mentioned in the acknowledgments in her book A Romance on Three Legs, which is the story of Glenn Gould and his search for the perfect piano. Which was also a good book!

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Wonder Drug. Two doctors look at the science of compassion.

quote:
“Wonder Drug marshals the scientific evidence demonstrating the power of compassion to improve the lives of our patients but equally as important our own lives. A powerful and poignant tour de force.” ― James R. Doty, M.D. Founder & Director of the Center for Compassion and Altruism Research and Education (CCARE) at Stanford University School of Medicine and the New York Times bestselling author of Into the Magic Shop: A Neurosurgeon’s Quest to Discover the Mysteries of the Brain and the Secrets of the Heart

"Humans are happiest when in motion, surrounded by others. This book illuminates the many reasons to look beyond yourself and find meaning and connection through serving others. A must-read." ― Scott Galloway, New York Times bestselling author and serial entrepreneur

“Wonder Drug contains a vital message for you and me, and copies should be handed out at graduation from every professional school. Trzeciak and Mazzarelli’s new offering is my clear book of the year for 2022.” ― Tom Peters, bestselling author of In Search of Excellence

https://www.amazon.com/Wonder-...urself/dp/1250863392

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And another Brooks offering, From Strength to Strength.

quote:
Many of us assume that the more successful we are, the less susceptible we become to the sense of professional and social irrelevance that often accompanies aging. But the truth is, the greater our achievements and our attachment to them, the more we notice our decline, and the more painful it is when it occurs.

What can we do, starting now, to make our older years a time of happiness, purpose, and yes, success?

At the height of his career at the age of 50, Arthur Brooks embarked on a seven-year journey to discover how to transform his future from one of disappointment over waning abilities into an opportunity for progress. From Strength to Strength is the result, a practical roadmap for the rest of your life.

Drawing on social science, philosophy, biography, theology, and eastern wisdom, as well as dozens of interviews with everyday men and women, Brooks shows us that true life success is well within our reach. By refocusing on certain priorities and habits that anyone can learn, such as deep wisdom, detachment from empty rewards, connection and service to others, and spiritual progress, we can set ourselves up for increased happiness.

https://arthurbrooks.com/book/...trength-to-strength/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Not sure I posted this one, read it fast then passed on to my Mom who returned it to me today, off to a new reader! Written by the very good friend of my boss.

I have several books on deck:

The Common Pot recommended by Robin Wall Kimmerer at talk of hers I attended.

Planting the World Random find in my wonderful local, indie bookstore.

The Sum of Us I attended a Webinar on diversity locally with the author's Mom and she mentioned her daughter's book, they are very like minded wonderful women! Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
The Final Outcome

Evidence and Analysis in the Meredith Kercher Murder Case

James Raper

I bought it on Amazon. It happens to be the best book on the case.

I can finally say I'm reading a book other than Emily Dickinson's poems for the fourth time. suave

It's slow going because the phone screen makes my eyes hurt (print would just as much), and because concentrating is difficult. We used to read fifty pages per week per class in college.

That was a lifetime ago. Smiler

Daniel, have you tried reading on a Kindle? The Kindle paperwhite display is a lot gentler on the eyes than a phone screen. And the brightness and font are highly adjustable, which might help you, too. It’s still my preferred way of reading, even after my cataract surgeries (which still feels like a miracle).

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Smiler[/QUOTE]

Daniel, have you tried reading on a Kindle? The Kindle paperwhite display is a lot gentler on the eyes than a phone screen. And the brightness and font are highly adjustable, which might help you, too. It’s still my preferred way of reading, even after my cataract surgeries (which still feels like a miracle).[/QUOTE]

Love my Kindle

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Just put this on my reading list.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/...ge-algebra-geometry/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Recently finished The School for Good Mothers and it was excellent, but not cheery.

Also recently finished How To Be Eaten which was excellent but also really odd.

The Echo Wife was a fun read.

Light From Uncommon Stars was good but tried to tell too many stories. I loved one of the main plot lines but the other one felt tacked on.

Goldilocks was fun sci-fi.

Currently reading The First To Die At The End, which is the follow up to They Both Die At the End. It’s YA so it may not be to everyone’s taste but I find YA fiction more interesting than a lot of “grown up” books because it tends to explore interesting themes but still be plot driven.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post