well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ever find recipes you can't wait to try?
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever find recipes you can't wait to try?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Steve, have you tried any fish "en papillote"?

Quick and easy single servings in parchment paper "pillows". Great for guests when you cut into it at the table and the steam rises with wonderful smells.

Easy to incorporate fresh veggies and herbs. Lots of recipes out there!

Second rontuner's suggestion.

I make salmon with a little soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and topped with green onions, though I use aluminum foil instead of parchment because of the added liquids.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I like this idea a lot!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I had an en papillote dish years ago, that is so simple that I've duplicated it successfully at home. It's a combination that I never would have come up with myself.

Take a single serving of a white, flaky fish (like cod). Lay it on a piece of baking parchment. Salt and pepper. (I'd use white pepper, but that's only for aesthetics.) On top of it, put a thin slice of cantaloupe roughly the length of the fish. On that, put a sprig of rosemary roughly the length of the fish. Wrap the parchment around the fish and tuck it under, securing if necessary. Bake according to your favorite baked fish recipe. (Maybe 350 degrees, ten minutes per inch of fish thickness, but you'd better check, because I'm not sure.)

Easy, delicious, and pretty enough for guests, who each get their own little packet of fish!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Haven't had an Italian beef sandwich in years. They're a staple here in the Chicago area.

This sounds deadly.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...talian-beef-sandwich

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
I had an en papillote dish years ago, that is so simple that I've duplicated it successfully at home. It's a combination that I never would have come up with myself.

Take a single serving of a white, flaky fish (like cod). Lay it on a piece of baking parchment. Salt and pepper. (I'd use white pepper, but that's only for aesthetics.) On top of it, put a thin slice of cantaloupe roughly the length of the fish. On that, put a sprig of rosemary roughly the length of the fish. Wrap the parchment around the fish and tuck it under, securing if necessary. Bake according to your favorite baked fish recipe. (Maybe 350 degrees, ten minutes per inch of fish thickness, but you'd better check, because I'm not sure.)

Easy, delicious, and pretty enough for guests, who each get their own little packet of fish!

I bought a cantaloupe so I can make this, along with some fish fillets. I haven’t made the dish yet.

But I have been eating the cantaloupe for breakfast and I’m amazed at how good it is! I always thought cantaloupe was OK but this one is really different - almost buttery. Is it a new variety?

Wow!

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Costco used to carry what they called Tuscan melons; not sure if they still have them. The look like a typical cantaloupe, except maybe the skin is more gnarly and textured. Super great flavor. Very intense.

I should have saved some seeds. Whenever I would dump my kitchen scrap bucket into the composter after we had some of these melons, the seeds would sprout in the compost and I would have a ton of melon plants coming up.

edit: The brand name of the Costco melons was Dulcinea.

https://www.dulcinea.com/our-p...n-style-cantaloupes/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Just in time for Rosh Hashanah. Beef brisket.

Aldi had vacuum packed beef brisket with salt and pepper. It looked great so I bought it on an impulse even though we don't eat much beef anymore. I've been making corned beef in the Instant Pot with great success (thanks to the recipe that Steve posted a while back); I thought a regular brisket could work well also.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/...-pot-brisket-4176972

It was a three pound brisket, so it was a tight fit in the IP. Cooked beautifully. I always let brisket cool overnight in the refrigerator, and then slice and warm it the following day. Much easier to slice. We had it warmed on brioche buns with giardiniera today for lunch, and Mr wtg plans to have it tomorrow with the gravy and some mashed potatoes and home grown green beans.

Here's a more traditional recipe that I'm sure can be adapted for the IP:

https://www.chabad.org/recipes...Hashanah-Brisket.htm

Bazootiehead-in-training

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:

I bought a cantaloupe so I can make this, along with some fish fillets. I haven’t made the dish yet.

But I have been eating the cantaloupe for breakfast and I’m amazed at how good it is! I always thought cantaloupe was OK but this one is really different - almost buttery. Is it a new variety?

Wow!

Our local cantaloupe is always excellent when it’s in season but I believe this years was the best I have ever had.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Haven't had an Italian beef sandwich in years. They're a staple here in the Chicago area.

This sounds deadly.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...talian-beef-sandwich
And you can get one anywhere there. For shame. Big Grin

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I found this on my way to look up greetings for Rosh Hashanah.

I’ll be cooking for weeks.

https://www.myjewishlearning.c.../rosh-hashanah-food/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Rule 1: Don't eat anything that's looking back at you.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
We have been making this frequently. I love winter squash so much and am always looking for new ways to use it. Any great recipes for squash as a main? Bonus if they are vegetarian and double bonus if they are weeknight friendly!

BLACK BEAN & VEGGIE STUFFED SPAGHETTI SQUASH

PREP TIME
20 mins
COOK TIME
40 mins
TOTAL TIME
1 hour

This loaded spaghetti squash is perfect for a meatless meal- full of beans and veggies, topped with all the fixings, high in fiber and good for you!

INGREDIENTS
1 medium spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds and pulp removed
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped zucchini
1 small red onion, diced (~3/4 cup)
1½ cups or 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
¾ teaspoon cumin
¾ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper
½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
⅓ cup chopped cilantro
½ cup fresh pico de gallo or salsa
sour cream (or sub plain Greek yogurt)
avocado or guacamole

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil sprayed with cooking spray. Place spaghetti squash halves cut side down on cookie sheet. Bake for ~30-35 minutes until tender. Let cool (this step can be done in advance).

In a large non stick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium heat. Add onions, then zucchini and sauté for ~6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add black beans, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir to combine.

Using a spoon scoop out the strands of spaghetti squash and add to the bean mixture. Stir well to combine. Taste for additional seasoning if needed.

Divide mixture back into the 2 spaghetti squash shells. Top each with ~1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Turn on broiler, place spaghetti squash bake on cookie sheet and broil for ~2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Top with fresh salsa, sour cream, chopped cilantro and avocado or guacamole.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thai Red Curry Noodle Soup Recipe

This soup is packed with so much flavor with bites of tender chicken, rice noodles, cilantro, basil and lime juice. So cozy, comforting and fragrant – plus, it’s easy enough for any night of the week.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...ed-curry-noodle-soup

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That looks really good! ThumbsUp