well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Real Estate..Show Us Your Local Listing
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real Estate..Show Us Your Local Listing
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What price art? Smiler

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have NEVER liked this house..It is butt ugly.

When Mr. Beelady and I were looking for lots in 1990, this was one. We got out of the car to walk it and were assaulted with vicious barking from the neighbors dogs right behind...We passed and this was built two years later. Ick.

If you look at the history, they keep putting it up for sale then taking it down.

Ugly House

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I agree with your assessment. The exterior of that house is just a hodge-poge with no architectural coherence whatsoever. The interior has some redeeming qualities, although I don't like the changes in elevation between rooms for no apparent reason. That's just a trip-and-fall hazard.

The two story sun room on the back is an odd feature with no particular use that I can see. The large room over the garage that is accessed by the spiral staircase has sloped ceiling over much of it and looks like it has relatively little utility. All in all, quite a bit of money must have been spent to little good effect.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7379 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quite a bit of money must have been spent to little good effect.

+1

Speaking of money, there's a house in our neighborhood that was empty from the time we moved here (three years now). A neighbor told me that the owner had died and the family wasn't dealing with the house. As you can imagine, it was in pretty bad shape, in terms of the yard but also the house itself looked in bad shape, including windows, roof etc.

Well maybe at the end of last year, they finally put it on the market and it sold, to flippers I believe. It sat for a little while longer, but finally the new owners got started and we've kind of been nosily watching its progress for a while.

The house now has a brand new roof, all new windows (boy do those look nice!) and they've been removing trees and bad shrubbery and just going at it like crazy.

The house also had an in-ground pool in the back, that looked really bad by the way. The last week or so, I've been hearing odd construction noises -- I mean, odd in that I couldn't label the activity that was producing the noise (usually I can).

I said to Mr. SK "I bet they're filling in that pool" and he was like, "no way, why would they do that." "Because it's too much money to get it back to the quality it would need to be in order to sell the house?"

Well, wouldn't you know it, I was right. We drove by yesterday and it looks like the pool is totally filled in. Now they have to do the landscaping. And then I bet they'll be ready to put it back on the market pretty soon.

I think it was a wise decision, but I have no idea how much it cost to fill in the pool. Also, I wonder if that is the kind of thing you'd have to disclose when selling?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
We just moved to the North of England to County Durham, so here's a house not far away I'd love to have bought, including furnishings. It could perhaps have a little more land:

https://www.patonandco.com/property/whalton-morpeth/

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 371 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
We also got a small flat in North London, only just missing out on this place about 7 miles away Wink

https://www.fineandcountry.com...ndon/nw1-4ds/2291634

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 371 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AD:
We also got a small flat in North London, only just missing out on this place about 7 miles away Wink

I lived for a year not too far from there ... on Elsworthy Road in St. Johns Wood. Nice area.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Wow. Those are two totally amazing properties.

The gardens are gorgeous in that first one; I love the coziness of the walled portions of the gardens on the property. Those thick stone walls of the house itself reminded me of a bed and breakfast we stayed at in North Yorkshire. Bank Villa. We had the most wonderful stay there.

The townhouse is also lovely. I had to look at a map to get my orientation, but I realized that I took walks around those neighborhoods when I visited London in the mid 80s. Just me and a printed map. It was great fun.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I love seeing the listings from England!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

With a multi level on a hill like that make sure you look at the drainage/waterproofing very carefully. It’s not easy to get right.

+1

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AD:
We just moved to the North of England to County Durham, so here's a house not far away I'd love to have bought, including furnishings. It could perhaps have a little more land:

https://www.patonandco.com/property/whalton-morpeth/

Stunning. Simply stunning. There is nothing like that here.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AD:

Very different but also fantastic! The finishing is superb!

I’m seeing radiator covers but no registers. Are either of those properties air conditioned?

Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
I've never seen any UK house with aircon.
Some places in London may have it or be intalling it after temperatures reached 39 degrees a fortnight ago; it was like an oven outside, very uncomfortable in the flat, and strange breathing in air warmer than yourself. It 'broke' my car, which in the shade registered 42 degrees all day.

I've got to page 7 in this thread and so far would love the Staten Island Arts&Crafts property as a project.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
That country house reminded me of the house that Bill Bryson lived in while he and his family lived in England. It was also an old rectory.

I'm afraid the five floors in that townhouse are more than my old knees could handle day in and day out, even before my surgery. It's lovely to look at, though.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7379 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
Central London properties are only bought by the mega-rich these days.

We did consider a bungalow, but are of the mind that stairs keep the heart healthy. One or two flights are enough though.