well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ghosn jumps bail

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ghosn jumps bail
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A lawyer for former Nissan chief Carlos Ghosn says he is "dumbfounded" by the news that his client has fled to Lebanon after jumping bail in Japan.

"We were completely caught by surprise," defence team head Junichiro Hironaka told reporters, adding that he had not spoken with Mr Ghosn.

On Tuesday, Nissan's ex-CEO, who was awaiting trial on financial misconduct charges, confirmed he had left Japan.

He said he had not fled justice but escaped "political persecution".

The 65-year-old was one of the most powerful figures in the global car industry until his arrest in November 2018.

He was born in Brazil to parents of Lebanese descent and was raised in Beirut, before travelling to France for further education.

The French and Lebanese foreign ministries say they have no knowledge of the circumstances of Mr Ghosn's departure from Japan and subsequent arrival in Lebanon.

Lebanese media has said he flew in on a private jet in via Turkey.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50959620

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
As you might imagine, Mr. SK and I are watching with great interest as this news story develops.

popcorn

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I don’t know enough not to credit his view, at least a little bit.

I mean, I didn’t pay too much attention to the original story but my recollection was typical power games in a merger situation + national pride involved and next thing you know the gaijin is in jail.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
And Japan's conviction rate is something like 98%, which says that their prosecutors only prosecute sure wins, the defense sucks (deliberately), or it's not the world's fairest system to defendants.

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
... and he's probably a hero in Lebanon now, and Lebanon has no extradition treaty with Japan. The guy "retires" to his vineyard estate.

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I’m still wondering how the heck one pronounces his name.

I assume he will never be able to travel to a country that has an extradition treaty with Japan.

Will Japan try him in absentia and can they seize his assets that are in other countries?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Big Embarrassment to Japan

Pesek makes some good points about Japan's pre-modern corporate structure.

quote:
Abe took power promising sweeping economic upgrades, steps to make Japan more welcoming to foreign talent and revisions to the nation’s pacifist postwar constitution.

Ghosn’s saga doesn’t say much about this last priority, but it makes a mockery of the first two.

Strengthened corporate governance was touted as a major victory for Abe’s structural reform drive. In recent years, his government rolled out a United Kingdom-like stewardship code to improve management standards, took steps to give shareholders a greater voice in decisions and encouraged more outside directors. It even prodded Japan Inc. to disclose cross-shareholding relationships, a practice long used to avoid foreign takeover attempts.

Yet accounting scandals at Olympus and Toshiba — along with safety-data fudging at Kobe Steel, Mitsubishi Materials, airbag manufacturer Takata and even KYB, maker of earthquake shock absorbers for buildings — show that Japan Inc. still answers to no one. The same goes for Ghosn’s downfall at Nissan.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I am hoping that all the attention, and yes, embarrassment, this brings will result in greater scrutiny and maybe finally some changes to Japan's draconian criminal justice system. Probably naive, but hope springs....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Details still a bit sketchy.

https://www.businessinsider.co...irut-on-january-8-24

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post