Find
Notify
Tools

Clocks
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I've developed a new hobby - repairing dead battery powered clocks. It started when I discovered that the movements used in the clocks are all nearly identical and dirt cheap on Amazon.

First I fixed this one:

That was easy enough so I fixed this wall clock. Took a little research to find the right movement as it's larger than the other clocks and required a "High Torque" movement:

And this FLW style table clock that we picked up in an gift shop somewhere years ago. It's a bit different in that it has a pendulum:

When I ran out of dead clocks I decided to buy one. Stickley still sells this clock new for some $300. I picked it up for less than $100 via eBay "make an offer". It had the same style movement as the others but it had been supplied by SKP - Seiko Thailand. It's nearly identical to the "Youngtown" Chinese movements I had been buying but I opted to spend the extra $5 for a match to the original:

Next up is this Michael Graves looking mantle clock (Target?) I plan to take up to the lake. After that I am going to tackle converting a spring wound clock and see how that goes.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Interesting hobby. My former piano tech now runs a clock repair shop in an antiques based town, Waynesville.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Really cool, Steve! ThumbsUp

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Interesting hobby. My former piano tech now runs a clock repair shop in an antiques based town, Waynesville.

My guess is that your friend does real clock repair on mechanical clocks. I can’t imagine the skills/patience required. I really admire people who can do things like that.

Recently watched a video where a guy restored a rusty old Tonka truck. I thought “that would be fun” until I saw the shop, skills, and tools that he used. Not sure I have time to learn it all.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
That’s one of the painful things about getting older - knowing you won’t have time to learn all the things you’d love to.

But restoring something to its former glory is always satisfying.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
True.

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Very cool, Steve. I especially like the FLW inspired clock.

I've taken an online clock repair course. Took this route when I called my local clocksmith last May to have him look at one of my cuckoo clocks. The soonest he could have a look at it would have been in November! He's swamped. So I decided to see if I could learn to fix my clocks myself. It needs be mentioned that I have 3 cuckoos, a gingerbread, a steeple, a tambour, a grandmother, a German wallclock, and 3 mantel clocks. All are wind up with strikes, bells, cuckoos, and/or chimes, and all are oldish to old. When I get them all synchronized correctly it's a absolute riot, especially on the hour of 12! Smiler Anyway, there's a lot one can do with a minimum of special equipment and that's what I want to get comfortable with. I don't see myself getting into the more advanced repairs like turning new shafts, etc. For one thing, the equipment is more expensive. And since I don't plan to make any money on it, it would be a bit of a luxury.

So far I've only taken one clockwork apart and put it back together again for practice. First clock I'll actually fix needs a new spring and now that winter is here and I have more down time, I hope to get going on it.

FYI, the course is at https://online.ticktockproductions.com/

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20459 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post