well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    House for sale

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House for sale
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
The story:

quote:
EVANSTON, Ill. — If you placed the terms “cupola” and “English rose garden” into the keywords menu on a search of homes for sale, you probably wouldn’t find too many listings, at least not in the Chicagoland area.

But you would find at least one right now.

It’s an estate you might be more likely to find in Old England, but it’s currently for sale in Chicago’s north suburbs. The property at 1233 Crain Street in Evanston, listed for sale since October, features both a cupola and an English rose garden.

The current listing price? $2.85 million.

https://wgntv.com/evanston/see...ed-for-2-85-million/

The listing:

https://www.atproperties.com/1...n-illinois-60202-nei

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37968 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow! Lots to like there! Esp the sunroom and the grounds.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18576 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
That's an incredible amount to pack onto a one acre lot without seeming crowded. Outside of the staff needed to keep the property in order, I think I could be very comfortable living there.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7420 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Very nice! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's an incredible amount to pack onto a one acre lot without seeming crowded.

Good point!! It didn't look crowded or forced at all.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18576 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It's a little stodgy, but I could live there.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Servants are so much trouble.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25714 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i like the landscaping a lot. the house itself is too stodgy for me. and it looks like it would be really cold in the winter with those bare tile floors, high ceilings, and huge windows. or at least, very expensive to heat.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21353 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I could easily live there. Guess I'm stodgy! Big Grin

I like the tile and wood flooring. The staging is spare to accentuate the interior size. Most of us would probably put down more area rugs for comfort in walking around and for visual appeal.

I would probably redo the master bathroom to update it a bit. And I noticed that one of the bathrooms has a shower with two double hung windows in it. If that shower were regularly used, it would be a bear to keep those windows clean and maintained.

My guess is that the house will sell quickly because of the size and location.

$30,000 per year in taxes ...

Posts: 12548 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Call me stodgy, too. And normally I'm not a fan of big houses. I'm thinking that part of why I like it is my connection to Evanston. I lived there for five years and it still feels like home when I'm back in the area.

As far as the house, of course the garden is what got my attention, but there were a couple of little things like the bookcase in the library that's a door to the adjoining space, and the Juliet balcony at the end of the upstairs hall that I found charming. And the fact that the TV is next to the fireplace rather than hanging above it... Big Grin It's a non-feature, which is a good thing.

And Hoosier Mama Pie Company is walking distance. That could be dangerous.

https://www.hoosiermamapie.com/evanston.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37968 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post