well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Boy, does this smell fishy

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boy, does this smell fishy
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
I chipped the lens of the taillight of my car while I was changing a bulb. It's the second time I've chipped it (Subaru makes it a pain in the butt to get the lens off). I've glued all the pieces I can find back together -- but I dropped one and it fell into the bumper cover. Darn!

So, I went online to see about a replacement. Of course, you can't just buy the lens, you have to buy the entire taillight assembly.

There was a link to a website that's a nationwide parts locator that claims to contact dozens or hundreds of wrecking yards around the country. I put in the make, model, year, part, and side. And, stupidly, my phone number and e-mail address. I clicked "submit" and it takes me to another page offering to expedite my request for $6.99 for a 48 hour response or $8.99 for a 24 hour response. I closed the web page.

Within a minute, my phone rang. The person said his name was Mike and he was calling from some wrecking yard in Oklahoma or somewhere. He asked if it was a sedan or wagon (I had already picked "wagon" on the form) and asked if it was mounted on the rear quarter panel (that's where taillights are, no?). He said he had one in stock and it was $140. I told him I wasn't that desperate. Oh, and "Mike" had a very strong Indian accent.

A few minutes later, I got a text, an e-mail, and a phone call from another place. I called back. This guy said his name was Vince Gallagher. He asked the exact same questions. He said he had one and it was $170. I said "no". Oh, and "Vince" had a very VERY strong Indian accent.

Since then, I've gotten over a dozen voicemails from numbers around the country. Every one said the same thing... as if they were reading from a script. I got calls from Tony, Nick, Eric, Simone, and several other people. Each and every one of them had a very strong Indian accent.

Color me skeptical, but I don't think any of these people actually has a single car part, much less a taillight assembly for an Outback wagon.

Oh, and I got four e-mails from four different people claiming to be the parts sales manager at the same "All-America Car-Parts".

Next week, I'll get on my bike and hit the local junkyards and see if I can find a real person named Mike or Jim or Nick with a real taillight assembly.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
You might find it on eBay. I’ve bought parts that way.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34999 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I am sure there ARE slightly crazy people across the USA who do have acres of land filled with car parts. Or appliances. Or old furniture. Every so often somebody writes an article about them.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13825 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I read your post to Mr wtg; he found it immensely entertaining and wants me to thank you for sharing it.

Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37999 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Jeez Louise. What kind of tracking cookies are on that site you looked at. If that's what it is? Either way, yikes!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18609 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I am sure there ARE slightly crazy people across the USA who do have acres of land filled with car parts. Or appliances. Or old furniture. Every so often somebody writes an article about them.
For cars, they're called wrecking yards. Acres of cars and if you're lucky, they have an inventory on a computer with the make, model, and year of each one and which parts have been removed.

They sometimes go by catchy names like "Pick-A-Part" or "Pull-A-Part".

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I read your post to Mr wtg; he found it immensely entertaining and wants me to thank you for sharing it.

Big Grin
You're both welcome.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Oh... and my new phone on AT&T identifies spoofed numbers, telemarketers, and other sketchy calls. I now have a page and a half of recent calls all listed as "SPAM RISK".

Fortunately, the calls, texts, and e-mails have subsided since about noon.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Three brothers in my home town worked hard constantly answering the phone and talking to a flow customers at their auto salvage business.
They sold and shipped parts to points all over this country and probably other countries.
They did well and the business is carrying on.
http://deltaautoparts.com/

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25730 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
There is a legit junkyard service. Go to a proper junkyard and they’ll put your part on the radio.

Nationwide.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34999 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post