well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Shootings in west Texas

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shootings in west Texas
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
20 people hurt, looks like two shooters are involved.

5 dead, 21 wounded, shooter is dead.

https://www.cbs7.com/content/n...dessa-558964771.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37957 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Where was the good guy with a gun?

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another mass shooting in America has left at least seven people dead. Two dozen more people were wounded in the rampage outside Odessa, Texas — the second mass shooting in the state in a month. The alleged gunman was killed by police, bringing the total death toll from the incident to eight.

The terrifying chain of events began with a traffic stop Saturday on an interstate in the heart of Texas' oil country. State troopers say the man, identified only as a white male in his 30s, pulled over for the traffic stop but then opened fire and took off.

Gunshots hit one trooper in the car that made the traffic stop, after the suspect failed to signal for a turn. The gunman then ditched his car and hijacked a postal service truck, unleashing more rounds as he drove away.

The gunman was eventually killed in a shootout with police outside a movie theater, but two more officers were among those left wounded. All three officers shot were said on Saturday night to be in stable condition.

An FBI spokesperson told CBS News early Sunday morning that six people were killed, not including the suspect, and 24 were wounded in total. An Odessa city official later confirmed another victim had died overnight in a hospital. Five of the victims were killed in Odessa and two in neighboring Midland. The suspect died in a hospital in Midland.

At least 10 victims remained in critical condition at two local hospitals.

Odessa police said in a statement that the suspect fired "at innocent civilians all over" the city. The youngest victim confirmed as of Sunday morning was a 17-month-old boy.

"This was a joint effort by a multitude of departments to find this animal and to bring him to justice," Odessa Police Chief Michael Gerke said.

As CBS News correspondent David Begnaud reports, the shooting came just a month after a gunman in El Paso killed 22 people when he opened fire in a Walmart store.

According to the Associated Press, Saturday's attack was the 25th mass shooting in the U.S. this year. That's as many as in all of 2018.

On Sunday, 10 new laws easing restrictions on guns take effect in Texas.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/s...est-news-2019-09-01/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37957 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
“The status quo in Texas is unacceptable,” he said Sunday. “Action is needed.”

... said Gov. Abbot (R).

Give it a few weeks, Greg. It'll die down and you won't have to anger the NRA and the "MY AR-15 OR DIE" crowd that seems so numerous in your area.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
One of the people injured in the shootings.

quote:
Anderson is 17 months old, has shrapnel in her right chest, which thank God is superficial. She has a hole through her bottom lip and tongue and her front teeth were knocked out. She is alive. When others today are not alive. I ask you to continue praying for our hearts as we experience this, pray for complete healing of Anderson, pray for every other family in our same situation, or worse, today and pray for the shooters. Pray that whatever is causing them to do this will be defeated by God and they will stop shooting.

https://kfyo.com/toddler-shot-...l-center-in-lubbock/

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
"Pray for the shooters"

I feel like anyone who is against gun control should be totally shamed by this parent's words... But of course they won't be.

At this point, I think "pray for the shooters" is all we got, because there's nothing else being put in to place in this country to prevent another mass killing.

Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18552 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I can understand the parents saying that. They sound like people with open and forgiving hearts.

What I don't understand a legislator thinking it's the solution to the gun problem.

quote:
A Texas Republican state representative said he opposes stricter gun laws and that people should instead be "praying for protection" hours after a mass shooting shook West Texas.

Republican Matt Schaefer posted on Facebook Saturday that "so-called gun-control solutions" won't "stop a person with evil intent," and that people should instead pray for victims and those with "evil intent."

"'Do something!' is the statement we keep hearing," he wrote. "As an elected official with a vote in Austin, let me tell you what I am NOT going to do. I am NOT going to use the evil acts of a handful of people to diminish the God-given rights of my fellow Texans. Period. None of these so-called gun-control solutions will work to stop a person with evil intent."

Later in the post he continues: "What can we do? YES to praying for victims. YES to praying for protection. YES to praying that God would transform the hearts of people with evil intent."

Schaefer wrote he supported "discipline in the homes" and "fathers not leaving their wives and children," while saying he opposes many proposals backed by Democratic presidential candidates -- universal background checks, so-called red flag gun laws, bans on AR-15s and high-capacity magazines and a mandatory gun buyback.

The Texas Republican wrote the "root of the problem" is "Godless, depraved hearts," in another Facebook post.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/01...-shooting/index.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45751 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can understand the parents saying that. They sound like people with open and forgiving hearts.

What I don't understand a legislator thinking it's the solution to the gun problem.

+1 on both accounts.

Re the parents especially.

I am strongly against the death penalty without exceptions, but I have often thought how my beliefs (against the death penalty) have thankfully never been put to this kind of test. I am not sure that I would be as forgiving and good as these parents.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18552 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
These are at the kinds of Republicans whose brains seemingly stopped developing when they were in middle school. Mr. Schaeffer has deep feelings, of course, and he is correct that he has one vote in Austin. But his arguments, such as they are, wouldn't pass a middle school deductive logic lesson. Yet they will be very persuasive to a group of likeminded and weak-minded fellow travelers. At some point, elections are simply going to have to bury him and his AR-15-toting supporters. There is no other way. People like him are unpersuadable by evidence. God has spoken.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
“The status quo in Texas is unacceptable,” he said Sunday. “Action is needed.”

... said Gov. Abbot (R).

Give it a few weeks, Greg. It'll die down and you won't have to anger the NRA and the "MY AR-15 OR DIE" crowd that seems so numerous in your area.

Or he could say something reassuring/helpful like this. Unless he's thinking about bans of not only ARs, but handguns and shotguns, which seems highly unlikely...

quote:
During the press conference, authorities revealed the firearm used in the attack was an "AR-type" weapon. Shortly after, a reported asked whether a plan to ban the AR-15 was under consideration.

"This is the kind of thing legislators are already talking about," Gov. Abbott said. "This is one of the topics that was raised during our roundtable discussions we had in El Paso. However, I do want to point out, that some of the [mass shootings] have not involved ARs."

Gov. Abbott specifically mentioned the Santa Fe shooting, which involved a shotgun and a handgun, and the Luby's shooting, which only involved a handgun.

https://www.12newsnow.com/arti...03-80d1-24043fa0cf96

Bazootiehead-in-training

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
That's the same stupid all-or-nothing argument made about knives and other weapons. Because handguns and knives can be used in these kinds of events, banning rapid fire military weapons with huge magazines must be useless. People who don't want to take action can always rely on that kind of claim, even in the face of substantial evidence that controlling the worst weapons actually does reduce the frequency and lethality of assaults.