well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    FBI docs on MLK released

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FBI docs on MLK released
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Newly-released documents reveal the full extent of the FBI’s surveillance of the civil rights leader Dr Martin Luther King in the mid-1960s. They expose in graphic detail the FBI’s intense focus on King’s extensive extramarital sexual relationships with dozens of women, and also his presence in a Washington hotel room when a friend, a Baptist minister, allegedly raped one of his “parishioners”, while King “looked on, laughed and offered advice”. The FBI’s tape recording of that criminal assault still exists today, resting under court seal in a National Archives vault.

The FBI documents also reveal how its Director, J. Edgar Hoover, authorised top Bureau officials to send Dr King a tape-recording of his sexual activities along with an anonymous message encouraging him to take his own life.

The complete transcripts and surviving recordings are not due to be released until 2027 but when they are made fully available a painful historical reckoning concerning King’s personal conduct seems inevitable.

On January 31, 1977, US District Judge John Lewis Smith signed an extraordinary court order requiring the Federal Bureau of Investigation to surrender all the fruits of its extensive electronic surveillance of Martin Luther King, Jr to the National Archives. “Said tapes and documents,” Smith instructed, shall be “maintained by the Archivist of the United States under seal for a period of fifty years,” or until January 31, 2027.

However, in recent months, hundreds of never-before-seen FBI reports and surveillance summaries concerning King have silently slipped into public view on the Archives’ lightly-annotated and difficult-to-explore web site. This has occurred thanks to the provisions of The President John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act, which mandated the public release of tens of thousands of government documents, many of which got swept up into congressional investigations of US intelligence agencies predating Judge Smith’s order. Winnowing the new King items from amidst the Archive’s 54,602 web-links, many of which lead to multi-document PDFs that are hundreds of pages long, entailed weeks of painstaking work.

https://standpointmag.co.uk/is...-martin-luther-king/

About the author, David Garrow: https://www.ajc.com/news/break...mQA5Mii1P1FPXcvzfHJ/

And some background about the FBI's surveillance methods: https://theconversation.com/j-...-declassified-118026

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Newly-released documents reveal the full extent of the FBI’s surveillance of the civil rights leader Dr Martin Luther King in the mid-1960s. They expose in graphic detail the FBI’s intense focus on King’s extensive extramarital sexual relationships with dozens of women, and also his presence in a Washington hotel room when a friend, a Baptist minister, allegedly raped one of his “parishioners”, while King “looked on, laughed and offered advice”.

OMG I had never heard this. I don't want to know. Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
My father (gone 30 years now) memorably told me about King's many flings. I always wondered why it wasn't in the news if it was true (JFK sure was!). Dad said when men became powerful (and also usually rich too), they rarely proved able to resist the countless attractive women who almost literally threw themselves at them right and left.

I guess that's one thing we have to credit Pence for (probably, anyhow).

Sad - and (speaking as a woman) - vastly irritating too. I guess the need for a black hero was so great, his feet of clay were just ignored as an important policy decision. His pretty wife must have agreed with that aspect of his sanctiication.

(Never heard anything about the alleged rape he witnessed - and more. I'd like to think it is untrue. Sometimes it is just too much of a downer to keep track of all the dirty laundry connected to pretty much all our heros. When in doubt, there's always Mister Rogers and Thich Nhat Hanh (do NOT care for much of what I've heard about Gandhi re his own traits as a husband and comments about Jews. Blekh.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post