well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Question for the cooks

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the cooks
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Does wax paper have any uses that can’t be reasonably well satisfied with parchment paper?

Random question I know.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
The one thing that occurs to me is that wax paper might be a better moisture barrier.

There’s also this from Martha Stewart.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13819 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The only thing I ever use wax paper for is to line things like cookie tins before I put cookies in them - though even then I think parchment paper would probably work just fine.

And of course there are the school kid "stained glass" projects using wax paper that are undoubtedly still around here somewhere. Big Grin

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Bwahahaha Nina! I came here to say that I use it for crafts at school but haven’t had any in the house for cooking in well over a decade.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4098 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, wax paper wrapped the sandwiches I took to school. At some point, the manufacturers designed it into sandwich bags, I think. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Remember, this was before plastics came on the scene.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13819 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Polishing a playground slide with waxed paper will make it much faster.

Parchment paper, not so much.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34982 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Steve -

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37977 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I use wax paper in cookie tins too! And in my art studio for different projects. Parchment paper for everything else.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20468 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I've never compared prices between waxed paper and parchment paper. I buy both products rarely, so my default has always been to buy parchment paper for baking but waxed paper for everything else, because I had the impression that waxed paper was cheaper. Thus, I used parchment paper only for the application that waxed paper was unsuitable for because of heat.

If I'm wrong about that, I really see no reason to waste the kitchen space on keeping both around, so I'm heading out to the internet to check...

...and here's what Epicurious says:

"Parchment is typically double the cost of wax paper for a 75 square-foot roll, which is why many people feel like wax paper is a better choice in instances when both materials suffice. But unlike wax paper, parchment paper is reusable and many types, like those made by If You Care and Reynolds, are compostable."

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15518 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Grandma saved aluminum foil, but do people really re-use parchment paper?

Posts: 34982 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I'd rather conserve in other areas than to try to get used plastic bags, parchment paper, and aluminum foil clean enough to save in a hygienic way.

The climate crisis is all my fault.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15518 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12562 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:

The climate crisis is all my fault.

Smiler Smiler Smiler

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Wax paper is not as noisy as parchment.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10575 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post