well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Thanksgiving
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanksgiving
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Thankful for so much, including my friends here at WTF...

Just me, Mr wtg and the turkey tomorrow. Well, Raffi is here, too, and might get a scrap or two of the bird.

I could skip the turkey (I hate preparing it because sometimes I overcook it) but Mr wtg loves it, so I'll make the sacrifice and prepare Julia Child's deconstructed turkey.

Stuffing, basic cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, acorn squash, gravy. We'll skip dessert because there's so much other stuff.

Turkey noodle soup and turkey sandwiches on homemade sourdough bread round out the rest of the holiday weekend menu...

Having company? Whatcha making?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37959 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Mom is hosting and we should have a total of 10 - with everyone bringing something. Pretty standard choices...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I’m on my own this year. I think McDonald’s is open? although, now that I’m unemployed, that may be a bit extravagant for me. I’m sure I can whip up a nice bowl of gruel if I get too cold and hungry.

So, apart from working the sympathy angle, I’ll probably go on a nice bike ride tomorrow morning.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
My mother was going to come here, but she ended up coming down with a cold (two negative covid tests, thankfully!) so it's just the two of us. We ended up getting a rotisserie chicken today, and added stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy. So we had chicken thanksgiving today, and will have leftovers tomorrow. Then I'll make pasta on Friday, which I was planning on making for my mother today.

Before we moved, we shopped at Publix, which had my absolute favorite cranberry orange relish that I have been buying every Thanksgiving since 2015. I was going to try to recreate it myself since there's no Publix here. But when my mother decided not to come, I thought I would just buy some at the local supermarket. That was a grave error.

It is, in a word, an abomination.

Cranberries, pineapple, walnuts, and … wait for it … celery.

I could do without the walnuts, tbh, but it's not that bad. And the pineapple is fine, so it would be ok (ish) were it not for the celery. And I am someone who loves celery.

But for the love of all that is good, just save the celery for the stuffing. Don’t put it in the cranberry relish.

Or, if you’re going to do that, write it on the label on the top of the container in massive letters.

Good grief.

The celery completely takes over. It makes it into cranberry relish with an identity crisis.

Blech.

I was forced to cleanse my palette with cookies.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18560 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I guess it's a matter of what you're used to. That cranberry relish sounds a lot like a cranberry jello dessert that I like more than anybody else in my family (but minus the jello). It's something that my mother used to make.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Kim’s MIL is hosting dinner this year and she’s an excellent cook! All the traditional dishes are on the menu. Sharon is bringing Cindysphinx’s bourbon cranberry sauce and a new green bean thing that involves marinating the beans overnight.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Steve, are you all better?

Posts: 18560 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Yes I am. A course of antibiotics along with a course of prednisone fixed me right up.

Thanks!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Yes I am. A course of antibiotics along with a course of prednisone fixed me right up.

Thanks!

Glad to hear it!

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
We're here in Santa Fe with eldest (Piano*Son) and his fiancee. Never cooked a turkey here!

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
I’m on my own this year. I think McDonald’s is open? although, now that I’m unemployed, that may be a bit extravagant for me. I’m sure I can whip up a nice bowl of gruel if I get too cold and hungry.

So, apart from working the sympathy angle, I’ll probably go on a nice bike ride tomorrow morning.

Doug, thinking of you. This is our traditional lead in to Thanksgiving dinner…

White Castles for Thanksgiving…lunch by pianomom2001, on Flickr

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
We are in Phoenix with Muffin's Sister's family and one Quirtlet.

We went out to a restaurant that had a prix-fixe turkey dinner, but you could also order off the menu. Nobody got turkey. Wink

I know that most of us do like turkey and dressing and such, but there were other things on the menu that we wanted more. The Quirtlet is a vegetarian, and I decided that the veggie dishes looked awesome, so we shared several of those. It was a delightful meal and we brought home leftovers.

It was great, and I hope all of our WTF friends also had a great day.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Bob picked up a prepared meal from a restaurant.
The restaurant was not going to provide the meal this year due to a labor shortage.
Early this week they much have hired people.
It was not a good as in previous years, but it was good.
I was turkey, etc.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Day 3 of turkey leftovers.

Lots of turkey still left, but we finally made it through the stuffing.

Am turning the turkey stock I made on Thursday into turkey noodle soup that we'll have tonight or tomorrow...

Turkey salad and/or cold turkey sandwiches on sourdough on the menu soon...gobble, gobble...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37959 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We had our thanksgiving foods on Wednesday and Thursday -- all gone now!

Then yesterday I made cheese ravioli with sauce and meatballs -- whoa, super filling! So that's what we're having tonight, and, I predict, tomorrow as well!

Yummy