well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The great electrician shortage

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The great electrician shortage
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Going green will depend on blue-collar workers. Can we train enough of them before time runs out?

https://www.newyorker.com/news...electrician-shortage

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37955 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
The shortage of construction workers in almost all trades has been known for awhile. What's now drawing attention is the shortage of other blue-collar workers capable of filling jobs in manufacturing. The long-term hollowing out of that industry is now colliding with the aging out and retirement of older workers, leaving many jobs unfilled.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It's not just a question of capable, but of willing. I suspect most people are capable of learning trades if the apply themselves. Do they know how to do that anymore? Do they see the value?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do they see the value?

This is a big part of it. Society has placed a stigma on blue collar jobs for a long time now, and we're seeing the impacts of that.

It's really unfortunate, not just because we all need contractors of all kinds to keep our houses up and running, but also because these jobs can be super creative, challenging, and satisfying.

We have had a contractor here all week and he's *really* good at what he does. And I can tell he enjoys it.

His job, his way of work-life, should be something that anyone can be proud of.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18543 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed construction work on my houses. Finishing basements, adding walls and doors, tiling, deck work, etc. But I was never fast enough to make a living at it.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Part of the problem is that most high schools try to steer their students towards college, including a lot of students who are just not suited for it. When college doesn't work out a lot of kids are just lost.

I've advised many kids to go in to the trades if college doesn't work out for them and most of them have done quite well. The new push for an all electric future should mean plenty of work for a long time.

If you are going to go in to a trade, electrician is the one you want. It's one of the few you can work at until retirement - not much heavy lifting, not much digging, not dangerous compared to other trades. Most injuries have to do with lifting or falling off of ladders, not electric shock or electrocution, and even those injuries are pretty rare. I had only two Workers Compensation claims in 30 years of business.

Unlike drywall, framing, or bricklaying, you don't need to be particularly strong to do the job and I've been seeing more women getting in to the trade. I'm sure I'll be seeing even more in the future.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
If I were a graduating senior today that is the way I would go. You can hang out your own shingle after a few years and do quite well. A friend's son got into an apprenticeship type of position and he's doing very well. He's about 4 years in.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Master plumbers can do really well, too.

It’s like the old joke … we have enough lawyers and doctors in the family. Couldn’t you be a plumber?

Posts: 45750 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Is there good reason to make sure (as I so often hear) that any electrician you hire should be licensed and insured? Often some handyman says he “knows a guy” who can do electrical work a lot cheaper and just as well as the licensed guys.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Is there good reason to make sure (as I so often hear) that any electrician you hire should be licensed and insured? Often some handyman says he “knows a guy” who can do electrical work a lot cheaper and just as well as the licensed guys.

It is likely that if a fire results it will not be covered.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:

Insurance is probably more important than a license. State laws may vary, but the general rule is that if someone gets injured while working on your property and doesn’t have insurance then you are responsible for his/her medical bills, possibly forever.

There may be Homeowners Insurance policies that would cover you but I’ve never heard of one.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Electricians are licensed in NYS. My stepfather is a retired electrician.

Back in the day, tradesmen could make a "middle class living."

Maybe still, considering the bills I get for pretty basic jobs. Lol.

I wouldn't hire an electrician without a licence (not a plumber either).

YMMV.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:

I wouldn't hire an electrician without a licence (not a plumber either).

YMMV.

Especially in this 140-year-old house where who knows what kind of sketchy wiring was done over the years.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post