well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    17 year old rape victim euthanized in the Netherlands
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 year old rape victim euthanized in the Netherlands
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Wow.

https://www.news.com.au/lifest...eaa11b66e1b1b8e215a1

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I was going to respond, but then realized, I don't really have anything to add to your reaction.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
17. Legally. This is the best they could do.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13566 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'd have phrased your title as "chooses euthanasia". A dog or cat can be euthanized without their consent.

Posts: 45763 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
17. Legally. This is the best they could do.

I'm guessing you meant a question mark. Maybe.

Posts: 12563 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Maybe we need a shaking head smilie.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13566 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34982 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Does this make us want this device to be real?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuralyzer

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Very hard to believe there's no effective treatment for such a traumatized victim of youthful sex abuse. I am close friends of women who have suffered horrific long-term rapes and torture including emotional abuse especially aimed at deliberately convincing them of their unworthiness and responsibility for the abuse. Both were incest victims (can't bring myself to call them "survivors").

They have suffered intolerable physical and emotional pain (one is forced to rely on a wheelchair as a result of the spinal damage the rapes caused). The first reports having been greatly helped by a therapist highly specialized in PTSD for such sufferers (still she is sometimes subject to suicidal impulses), while the second is happily married to a deeply loving man who has greatly helped with her survival. Of the two, I'd say the anger the second is able to feel and express is most helpful while having given birth to two (now grown) daughters to whom she feels responsible, keeps the first alive. (I haven't dared ask her if one or both were fathered by a rapist.)

I'm very interested in studies of factors which appear to make major differences in which youthful sex victims survive emotionally, some of whom even seem to rebound. Some factors are genetic, others experiential.

I just can't believe Holland has seen fit to permit children as young as 12 to choose euthanasia, at least not for emotional/mental pain. (Maybe for excruciating physical agony.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I'd have phrased your title as "chooses euthanasia". A dog or cat can be euthanized without their consent.

Except, every day, hundreds of 17 year olds decide their lives aren’t worth living. The newsworthy part is when the family, medical profession, and society agree.

Mik put it best - is this the best they can do?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
It was the best they could do, which is sad.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25726 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I will read her book if it is translated to English.

I used to work a crisis service where we dealt with suicide, rape, abuse issues. In a couple of cases, I remember thinking were it me, I'm not sure I could endure what they were describing - but they did. Things can get better. At 17, the world can look pretty grim - but there's often not a lot of experience to make those kinds of decisions.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Chooses euthanasia? Chooses suicide? Chooses physician-assisted suicide?

Is it all in how you describe it?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

Except, every day, hundreds of 17 year olds decide their lives aren’t worth living. The newsworthy part is when the family, medical profession, and society agree.

Mik put it best - is this the best they can do?

Allowing her to make the choice seems different from making the choice for her.

Seems pretty obvious and almost definitional.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
Chooses euthanasia? Chooses suicide? Chooses physician-assisted suicide?

Is it all in how you describe it?

Any of those is more accurate.