well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Financial question

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Financial question
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
As someone who is rather financially illiterate, are there good websites to read up on this stuff?

My local bank where I've kept too much money in a passbook savings account (stupidly earning almost no interest) is discontinuing all passbook accounts but allowing you to turn them into either similar savings accounts (managed mostly online with no passbook) or money market savings (earning better interest) or 6-mo. or 1-year CD's with pretty good interest rates right now.

Or I could take money out and put it into other things, but I don't know about the wider world of savings plans or online banks or whatnot.

Any advice appreciated.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
get a vanguard account and put it in an index fund that tracks the dow. for now.

then maybe you should hire a fee-only financial planner to help you with your whole picture.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Yes as to Vanguard. If you want to replicate the zero investment risk (but opportunity risk) feature of your savings account, put it in a money market fund at Vanguard.

With mutual funds, you always want a lower expense ratio. Trying to pick a better manager is almost always a worse strategy if it comes with a higher expense ratio. Vanguard and Fidelity have the lowest expense ratios, generally.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
yes, the money market account at Vanguard pays about 5.25% right now. If you prefer an in person experience and have a local Fidelity office their money market account pays almost the same rate and their customer service is a bit better.

if you would like the total comfort of the FDIC insured deposits, the online banks, allied and synchrony are probably the two best for me. They both pay about 4 1/2% on online savings account and you can get short term CDs at five to 5.1%.

if you were a little more adventurous and have a brokerage account somewhere, you can get about 5.4% on a short term treasury bill or a brokered certificate of deposit but that’s a little more hassle than some people want to bother with.

this is a subject I unfortunately know way too much about because one of my current jobs is setting interest rates for a bank…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
If we give you doughnuts, will you lower the mortgage interest rates?

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

ROTFLMAO

yes, please?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

I feel like you are…. Making fun of a banker.

I’m sorry, but it’s my duty now to add a variety of cleverly hidden fees to all of your accounts.

Don’t have an account with us? Not to worry, I’ve got a friend over at Wells Fargo who knows a workaround for this.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post