well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Old dog - how do you know when it's time.....
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old dog - how do you know when it's time.....
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Sorry ... I don’t have any opinion or suggestion to share, just sorry that you have to make a decision like this.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I/we have been through this a few times. I feel for you...

I ended up going to another vet clinic once when there was a quick decline on a weekend. It may have been easier because there wasn't a relationship built over time?

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Sorry you are going through this.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
We have been through this with the many cats we’ve had through our lifetimes. It’s always hard. I know you will come to the best decision.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Realized I have been neglectful about posting follow ups. We had him put down last Tuesday. It was very hard. And this is the first time we haven't had a dog in like 14 years, which is super weird. Anyhow, it sucked, but thanks for the advice -- it made me feel slightly less guilty.

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry, Lisa.

He was a lucky dog to have landed with a family like yours who loved him so much.

Comfort

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Group Hug

You did the right thing. So sorry for your loss.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Lisa, Comfort as everyone else is saying, you did the right thing, don't be hard on yourself.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry, Lisa. Group Hug

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Always an awful day. Remember that you gave him a wonderful life.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13559 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, Lisa.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Lisa, you were acting compassionately. I'm afraid in the name of love, too many people keep cherished pets alive when if they could only ask for relief, they would.

Some might call THAT selfish.

You, guilty?
No. And no thanks to that vet urging you to keep him going to the bitter (natural) end. That was NOT helping. I'm sure he sensed you were torn and wrestling with the sense you were guilty towards your dog.

Besides, it may be no coincidence that he himself profits from last ditch efforts to prolong his clients' pets' lives. I haven't read any statistics, but I'll bet such treatments make up a substantial amount of the pet's lifetime healthcare expenses just as they do with humans.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I’ve had 4 dogs put down over the years. Never have I ever thought I did it too soon. Looking back, I definitely waited too long in some cases. It’s never easy.

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Not easy, but you did the right thing.

Condolences to your entire family. Comfort

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post