well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Sometimes life is just too complicated
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sometimes life is just too complicated
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We only buy sheets/towels in white. Classic style and you can bleach them.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Why is it that our grandmothers' sheets were soft and lasted forever? If we could make them like that 60 years ago, why can't we do it now? I could kick myself for getting rid of the full sheets that had been languishing in my mom's linen closet up until I sold her condo a couple of years ago. I had no use for them then. Oh, well....

Back to the hunt...

Target's Fieldcrest sheets felt great in the store, but online reviews showed that they got holes in them within months of purchase.

I wasn't really finding anything I liked at local stores, so I decided to check out reviews on Wirecutter and Consumer Reports.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-sheets/

https://www.consumerreports.or...st-and-worst-sheets/

I was all set to go the LLBean route (recommended by both WC and CR), but the sheets that were so highly rated have apparently gone south recently, based on customer reviews on LLBean's site. People complained that had been buying them for for years, but that recent purchases were scratchy and uncomfortable.

Boll&Branch and Brooklinen sounded like good possibilities. B&B was more expensive, so I decided to order from Brooklinen. Am trying one set of percale and one set of sateen. They were not ridiculously expensive and they have a lifetime return policy.

https://www.brooklinen.com/

The saga continues...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37962 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Old percale sometimes come up on eBay or in antique stores that specialize in linens. I used to get them at the Brimfield antique fields. Haven't gone in awhile though.

They were wonderful.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
https://www.brooklinen.com/

The saga continues...

quote:
Plus, the fitted sheet, which has a 15” pocket, includes labels on the long and short sides to help you make the bed more quickly,

Brilliant! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So the Brooklinen sheets arrived. Both the percale and sateen are very soft. They both seem substantial, but the sateen are the heavier of the two.

Their laundering instructions say to wash and air dry the sheets for best results. Next best is to machine dry on delicate and to take them out promptly. I washed the percale and machine dried them, and they came out really nice. A few wrinkles, but not like some I've seen in the past. I'm not a sheet ironer, but even if you are, you'll only be touching them up.

Fitted sheet is generously sized. We have only a 10" foam mattress with a fluffy mattress pad and this sheet is a bit large. It has elastic all the way around the fitted sheet so that makes it easier to tuck under the mattress to make it look neat.

Pillow cases are an envelope style that look very tidy on the bed.

The full set of percale is priced at $99, but there was a ten or fifteen percent "first order" discount.

All in all, a very positive first impression.

/sidebar I finally put two and two together....the name of the company is Brooklinen and their flagship store is located in.....drum roll.....Brooklyn.

facepalm

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37962 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Is this the company that marks the two bottom corners on the fitted sheet so you can find them easily?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yup. There are tags that say Long and Short.

ThumbsUp

Bazootiehead-in-training