well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Your Local Epidemiologist

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Local Epidemiologist
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Interesting blog.

Your top 7 questions about fall vaccines. Discussion about getting various vaccines together, Novavax, whether to wait for the new vaccine....

https://yourlocalepidemiologis...-about-fall-vaccines

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37959 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
About the clinical trials for the RSV vaccine:

https://yourlocalepidemiologis...rsv-vaccine-clinical

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37959 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Then there's this guy, down in Florida...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/cov...rgeon-155352238.html

Roll Eyes

"down in Florida" is about all you need to know, I guess...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18556 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Timing, mixing, and more.

https://yourlocalepidemiologis...-for-your-fall-covid

YLE is one of the experts that WaPo quotes in its articles....

edit: She linked to this discussion about repeated vaccinations

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p...rticles/PMC10222767/

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

“However, emerging evidence suggests that the reported increase in IgG4 levels detected after repeated vaccination with the mRNA vaccines may not be a protective mechanism; rather, it constitutes an immune tolerance mechanism to the spike protein that could promote unopposed SARS-CoV2 infection and replication by suppressing natural antiviral responses.”

Am I better off getting Covid and having a natural antiviral response?

Also:

“Increased IgG4 synthesis due to repeated mRNA vaccination with high antigen concentrations may also cause autoimmune diseases, and promote cancer growth and autoimmune myocarditis in susceptible individuals.”

That sounds worrisome.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Those same passages gave me pause, especially as I was one of the people who had a heart-related reaction to my third Pfizer shot; I was fine after the first two. Maybe I'm one of the "susceptible individuals".

I know that there is a risk of pericarditis/myocarditis from getting COVID, too, so I'm waiting to see what, if anything, happens to me after this recent bout of COVID.

Some thoughts from last year around this time.

quote:
How much each incremental booster helps (or does not help) is something that we really don’t have a good grip on prospectively. For example, we didn’t really know a second booster was needed among 50+ year olds. We kind of guessed and relied on data from Israel (and the recent articles suggests why 50 might be a key age). Retrospectively, we can see that this was certainly the right policy call. But, the FDA needs to require pharmaceutical companies to test B cell and T cell functions—not just neutralizing antibodies—to assess the added benefit, instead of retrospectively determining good or bad policy.

We're still in the dark about a lot of this. But we do the best we can!

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Interestingly Walgreens website said it was proven safe to get all three at once.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Interestingly Walgreens website said it was proven safe to get all three at once.

"Proven safe" may be a little strong. I think it's more like "probably OK".

Vaccines are a money-maker for pharmacies. Big time. They are afraid you won't come in multiple times so they encourage you to get them all while you're there.

Personally, I try to space out vaccinations. I figure my immune system doesn't need to be barraged with everything at once.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From my scientist buddy. I post this not to discourage anyone, but for its helpful hints when dealing with vaccine side effects.

quote:
So, I got my booster Friday afternoon - the Moderna SpikeVax, because it was the one that was available closest to me - and I scheduled it for Friday because I knew I'd be sick on Saturday. I didn't know I'd be THAT sick, though.

About 5 hours after the shot, my arm got really sore. Big deal. Then it got so sore that I couldn't move it, and my hand ached like it wasn't getting enough circulation. My back and neck - on that side only - came next, and I found it odd that these sxs followed the neural distribution. I was so sore that I couldn't sleep because there was no position where I wasn't in a lot of pain. I finally got up at 4 AM and took some tylenol, and that took the edge off for a couple of hours. The next day I got a fever, and when it got up to 101° I said, screw this, I'm going for the ibuprofen. That nailed the fever for a few hours and also worked on the muscle aches. The fever came back but not as high, and I was out of it all day but not in as much pain. I took more ibuprofen before I went to bed. By Sunday morning I was much better, just really tired and a little achy.

My take home points:

I'm going for the Novavax next time. Would have this time but it wasn't available yet, it had been 10 mos. since my last booster and I see patients.

I'm really glad I didn't get the flu shot at the same time. It may have made my sxs worse. The word is that it is somewhat better (exactly how much, no one knows) to wait about 2 weeks between shots, but the CDC is afraid that people won't go back for a 2nd shot (and my bet is that people would not go back for a COVID shot).

I've since found out that with a vaccine, anti-inflammatories are not good to take before the shot because they reduce your response, but have no effect on protection if you take them after sxs develop. That's because your immune system has recognized the intruder, and the unpleasant side effects, while they can work against a real virus (for instance, by raising your temp), don't contribute to enhancing the immune response to a vaccine. I've also been told that ibuprofen is only mildly anti-inflammatory unless you take a handful. 2 worked really well. A study showed that people who took ibuprofen for the vaccine side effects had a slightly better immune response - but that's likely not due to the drug but rather that they needed to take it. So, next time I'm reaching for the Motrin much sooner.

It has been said that people who have lots of side effects have a robust immune system. I think that only accounts for a tiny part of the effect, because people who have no side effects have a very similar amount of protection. I think it has more to do with genetic differences, and I wonder if the same people who have nasty side effects also get really sick from COVID.

Just my thoughts while we continue to figure this all out.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Well, as it happens, I got my flu shot and covid vax yesterday morning (at 10:30am).

OH, and I too got the Moderna SpikeVax.

My arm started to hurt almost immediately. By about 5pm I was starting to feel crummy, and by 8pm, I was in really bad shape. I had intended to take tylenol but somehow forgot. That was a mistake.

I went to bed at 9pm, shivering all over and my whole body aching like I'd been hit by a truck. I woke up a few times just from being in pain and shivering. I woke up again just feeling absolutely miserable, pain all over and freezing despite lots of blankets and warm jammies. When I checked the clock it was around midnight, and I somehow remembered that I had not taken the tylenol. So I got up, took some tylenol and got back in bed. I slept fitfully. When I got up at 6am, my body aches were somewhat lessened and my arm was slightly less sore. Oh and no more shivering. I was also on the cusp of a migraine but my regular migraine meds did away with that, thankfully.

Now, roughly 28 hours after the vax, I just generally feel crummy but nowhere near as bad as I felt in the middle of the night. My arm is really, really sore and I have a lot of pain in my neck, like I'd been in a car accident.

But other than that I'm ok-ish and I can function.

Next time I'm not going to get both vaccines at once!

And I guess I'm going to keep masking, I mean, even after the two-week window post-vax passes....
:/

Posts: 18556 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I just checked again with my doc about the current booster. (Got my flu shot already)

His practice (and what he's reading) isn't seeing any difference between boosted and non-boosted when it comes to severity of infection, so he's not recommending it for me. Might be a different story for those with specific conditions.

I begin to think about the profit motive for recommending that everyone should get a booster...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
isn't seeing any difference between boosted and non-boosted when it comes to severity of infection

-_-

Wish I had heard that on Friday... Sigh.

Also, we still don't have a PCP here, so I feel like we're flying blind. Sigh...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
"down in Florida" is about all you need to know, I guess..

Big Grin ThumbsUp

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
More on Novavax, for those following the saga. Guess it was approved a few weeks ago. When I looked up whether it was available around here it looks like CVS and Costco have it.

https://www.science.org/conten...ot-over-mrna-options

Bazootiehead-in-training