well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How Could My Computer Have Known???

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Could My Computer Have Known???
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
OK, here's the scoop.

We have a house sitter from the Uni who will be here while we're in Santa Fe next month. We exchanged cell phone numbers via email. I saw hers and wondered where her area code was located so I began to search.

I typed "area code" into Google, and was just about to put her code into the search ...

What to my wondering eye pops up? Well, Mr. Google gives a list of area codes I might want to search, starting with hers.

What gives? Is my computer sharing the contents of my email with Google? How could Google have pulled up the exact area code before I even typed it in???

We're all familiar with advertisements decorating web pages based on what we searched for earlier in the day, but this is a bit scarier. Perhaps it was just a coincidence? Her area code is pretty big.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Do you use an iPhone and an iMac? Or you’re using the Google browser on your phone and laptop?

Everything is linked.

There’s no going back.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm on my Apple laptop, using Safari as the browser. But Google is my search engine.

Reading my email is beyond the pale.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Google does scan your email, if you use Gmail. It uses the contents for targeted advertising.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I thought Google stopped that practice a few years ago.

But I don't know if they are reading emails, Gmail or otherwise, in order to improve search results....

I stopped using Google search quite a while ago and use DuckDuckGo almost exclusively.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P*D, was it your work email or a gmail account?

But yeah, it's beyond the pale. Internet connectivity has gone completely beyond the pale and will never be back to this side of the pale ever again. WhoMe

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
My work account. I use it for just about everything.

I'm thinking coinkidink might be in play here. Her area code is perhaps the most populous in the state, so Google just listed it first, knowing what state we live in.

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
My work account.
Does that mean your employer outsourced the email function to Google? Don't know about higher education institutions, but lots of (small) businesses outsource their email function to Google but most likely the contract with these businesses are such that Google refrains from reading too much into your work email for advertising purposes.

In some sense, Google has to "read" your email otherwise it cannot construct the search indices that allow you to quickly search through your emails. Google has to "read" your email to determine whether one is spam. Google has to "read" your attachments too because otherwise it cannot scan for viruses and malware that may be embedded in your attachments.

These apply to just about any email service provider that wants to offer the (now) basic functions of "search", "spam filtering", and "virus protection."

For true privacy, you basically have to encrypt your stuff before letting it leave your computer.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
TBH, I don't really know who handles the university email account.

There is a difference between "reading" my emails automatically for those largely autonomous functions, and "reading" my emails to create a database (which they sell) for keeping tabs on me and marketing to me.

As I said, I think the "read" in this case may have been less nefarious than I first suspected and more in line with certain automatic protocols. A person in Virginia who asks about area codes is probably given a list starting with the most populous one in the same state.

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
Google would know your PC's IP address unless you’ve turned off a privacy setting feature that displays the IP address. If it’s on, then google can approximately estimate where you are based on the IP address. It wouldn't know where someone is located by an area code embedded in an e-mail.

By the way: Beware of using work computers for personal e-mail. Certain people who work in your organization might be able to read them. At least, they can where I work, a government agency.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post