well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Electric toothbrush

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric toothbrush
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
My dentist recently recommended I use a Water Pik and an electric toothbrush to get my gums in to better shape. I got a Water Pik and a Philips Sonicare toothbrush and while they seem to work fine I have questions.

Electric toothbrushes come in a bewildering array. Is the Sonicare a good choice? Is the $35 Sonicare good enough or should I have bought one of the more expensive ones? How long should I use it? It has a 2 minute timer but my Periodontist says he never has time for that and uses it for about half as long.

I think the Water Pik cost around $60, but Amazon has models that cost hundreds. Why the difference? If you use a Water Pik, do you put mouthwash in it? What kind? Toothpaste?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34979 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yea, some of them have wifi or other carp that I just don't get.

(edit: I just reread your post and see that you already have purchased some equipment....)

There are two basic categories: the sonic (Sonicare) and the rotating brush (Oral B). From what I read, studies show they work equally well.

I went for an off brand of the sonic variety from a company called Burst; I used an Oral B for the last 20 years and thought I'd try a sonic type for a change. Burst has a network of dental hygienists who basically sell the product for them. You get a code from the hygienist to bring the cost of the toothbrush down to about $40. If you subscribe to the every three months brush replacement program ($6 a brush), your toothbrush is guaranteed for as long as you subscribe; otherwise it's a two year warranty. They have some type of charcoal in the brush that's supposed to be better.

I've been using mine for about six months and am now due for a cleaning. Don't know if it's better than the Oral B was or not. I always go the full two minutes.

If you go with the name brands like Sonicare or OralB, wait for a sale at Costco. I think it works out to be cheaper than buying the same brush through other outlets.

I also have a WaterPik that I bought at Costco. When I used it, I just put water in it. But to be honest, I got tired of the extended tooth ritual and it's in the cabinet gathering dust. Brushing and flossing, and I'm done....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37972 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I have the philips sonicare and love it. I almost never go the full 2 minutes. I’m a habitual flosser too.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I use floss, Proxabrushes, and a Sonicare that cost about $80.
The dental hygenist at my January cleaning said it looked like
I use those things and things looked great
I go for a cleaning at least twice a year.

Got bad gums from my father. He learned to floss and brush frequently.
after getting several implants.

I think Proxabrushes are essential. There are four sizes. One must find the sizes that work.
I use a green one and a red one.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25723 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I have the philips sonicare and love it. I almost never go the full 2 minutes. I’m a habitual flosser too.

Ditto, though I usually go the full two minutes before bed. Since I'm wearing Invisalign® I brush more often than most people, so I don't need the whole amount of time, all the time.

Posts: 12552 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Bought a water pick with sidekick electric toothbrush. Loved both until the brush stopped charging. Internet research indicates this is a long-standing and ongoing problem. Still have the water pick and trying to decide what electric brush to get, but it won't be another waterpik brand.

jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17682 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What do you think of the new electric toothbrush with the WaterPik built-in?

Posts: 34979 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Might be an assault. Smiler

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25723 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Might be an assault. Smiler

hysteric

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
And what do youall recommend for best water pic - well, for me? If quality is equal, I much prefer small. (Such limited bathroom shelf space. )

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Water Pik makes a travel model that is very compact. Maybe look at one of those.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I have been using Sonicare for years...on my second unit. Also flossing. I do a peroxide-and-baking soda probe at the gum line and occasionally tiny brushes between teeth (I need to find a better brand). Oh, and rinses with Listerine or equivalent.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post